SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dleiter_gw

What is doing this? And what can I do?

dleiter
17 years ago

There is something damaging plants in one section of my garden. The leaves are covered in pinhead size brown dots and the leaves are curling and getting brown. It is effecting a butterfly bush most severely. It is also attacking a coryopsis, pulmonaria, and coneflower. I have more pictures.

Image link: {{!gwi}}

Comments (4)

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Are those raised bumps that are not part of the leaf?
    Remy

• Cathy_in_PA
    17 years ago

Dleiter, you may want to check for four-lined plant bugs, which look somewhat like cucumber beetles. I get these bugs on my coreopsis, coneflowers, butterfly bushes, sage, and mums about this time every year. In my experience, different plants exhibit different leaf damage (sage=black dots). They will scurry to the underside of the leaf when the plant is disturbed. I sometimes "spot shot" with insecticidal soap or, gross I know, squish.

Good luck.

Cathy in SWPA

Here is a link that might be useful: Four-lined plant bug

• dleiter
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Remy,

They dots aren't bumps, they are depressions. I never see any insects so now I'm wondering if it's something fungal.

Cathy,

I never see any bugs. Now it's spread to my lavendar and Nippon daisy.

I'm very frustrated. Thanks for your help.

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi again,
    I'm sorry no one has come up with an answer. I think it is something fungal also, because of how the leaves get worse and all brown. Bugs can make swiss cheese of leaves, but the leaves don't seem to curl up and die. But I don't know what exact disease is attacking your plants. I even searched for buddleia diseases and pests and came up empty.
    Do you have a cooperative extension service, like how I have Cornell here, or a very good nursery near you? I would take samples in sealed plastic bags to be examined.
    I hope you find an answer,
    Remy