SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyinowasso

Garlic taste test

I bought heads of garlic at the Cherry Street farmers market in Tulsa Saturday. I got one each of 7 varieties.

Red pescadero (Creole)
Georgian crystal (Porcelain)
Metechi (purple stripe)
Shantung purple (turban)
Chesnok red (purple stripe)
Lukak (artichoke - softneck)
Red toch (artichoke - softneck)

The lady said she would have seed garlic for sale in September. None of these heads are very large, and the cloves are average to small.

We are tasting them raw and cooked to see if any really stand out. I don't have that great a pallate, but my husband is pretty good so I hope to be able to post our taste tests.

Today I learned there are 2 subspecies of garlic, hardneck and softneck and 10 varieties of true garlic (elephant garlic is another species). The hardneck varieties are Porcelain, Purple Stripe, Marbled Purple Stripe, Glazed Purple Stripe, and Rocambole; three varieties of weakly bolting hardnecks that often produce softnecks - Creole, Asiatic and Turban, plus two softneck varieties Artichoke and Silverskin.

Porcelains and Rocambole grow better in the north, though Porcelains can be grown in the south some years and store 7-9 months, up to 6 feet from base to scape.
Purple stripes mature mid season and store well. 3-5 feet tall.
Glazed purple stripes, iridescent cloves store 5-7 months. 3-5 feet tall.
Marbled purple stripe store 6-7 months. 3-5 feet tall.
Creole easily grown in the south and are more tolerant of adverse weather. Small cloves, store 9-10 months.
Asiatics and turban early harvest, short storing.
Artichoke is the commercial variety, large bulbs and store well. Store 9-10 months.
Silverskins usually hot, strong, longest storing and good for braiding.

Today we tried Pescadero Red. Mild, not very hot when raw. DH thought it cooked too long and carmelized. What I can say is I ate it without that shock you get when you accidentally bite into a clove. I mean there was garlic taste without having it overpower your mouth.

Pescadero Red (Fisherman's garlic)

Pescadero Red is an interesting Creole that has a nice pleasant garlickiness but only a little pungency. It is a little more pungent than Cuban Purple and not as pungent as Burgundy. It has a pungency rating of about 2 on a scale of 10 and a garlickiness rating of about 4. It is a mild, mellow garlic, great for pesto.

Pescadero Red is a very vigorous grower and can grow quite large. Like all Creoles, it is a long storing garlic.�
Harvest in late spring/early summer...stores well into sprIng.

http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/creoles.htm#anchorpescaderored

Comments (22)