SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherine_nm

Tasting the New Garlic Harvest

17 years ago

Martin, I harvested the garlic you sent me. (Thank you, thank you, thank you!) First the problems. The winter was depressingly dry, and my garden only got watered about once a month. I know that stunts garlic growth, from my past attempts to grow Spanish Roja. Then my darling 4 year old twins helped me in my garden by removing the plant labels, so I'm not sure of several varieties that I grew this year. The garlic in the flower bed out front were all Asian Tempest, so I'm sure of those. My step-dad, who does the cooking in my parents' home, was quite impressed with the bite, and with the size of the heads. Definitely will grow again.

Purple Glazer still had its lable somehow. Those heads were about the same size as the Spanish Roja I have grown (small), and we haven't tasted them yet.

(?) Giant, (maybe Russian Giant or Siberian Giant) is, well, huge, with large bulbils! Good flavor. Definitely will regrow.

Martin's Heirloom, average size heads (remember, drought conditions), large bulbils, haven't tasted yet. Good production! Probably will plant again.

Porcelain (?), average size heans, small bulbils, haven't tasted yet.

Grocery store shallots, small bulbs, may grow again.

Thanks again. I am passing along the Martin's Heirloom and (?) Giant to fellow gardeners in my neighborhood.

Catherine

Comment