SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valadelphia

Vole Conundrum

veeta
11 years ago

I am wondering if there is any point in my attempting to control the vole population that visits my compost pile. For the past three years, they have been present off-and-on, but they do not seem to bother my ornamentals or vegetables--I have never noticed any effect. I am guessing this is because they are well-fed in the compost pile! I don't want to be a bad citizen, but I don't see any point in action because my neighbor has a wild, unkempt yard, so they will always have refuge.

Once I found them nesting in the compost pile, so I am now turning it more often. We have plentiful hawks and cats in the neighborhood, and I have seen one cat walking off with a vole carcass on more than one occasion.

Does anyone think I should be doing anything? In addition to not wanting to deal with traps or poisons (especially considering the hawk and cat predators), I honestly worry that depriving them of the compost will just result in them feeding on my garden. There is really no way to eradicate them. What do you think?

Comments (6)