SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_legault

What is on next year's list to buy ?

Just when I thought I had all the roses that I want or need I see pictures of your roses that take my breath away and the list begins.

Here is my list so far and I have no doubt it will grow. So please stop posting pictures of delicious colors and full blooms. My new list is already forming.

1. Ascot

2. Falstaff

3. Carding Mill

4. Lady of Shallott

5. Teasing Georgia

6. About 5 new multi floras being released soon from For Love of Roses.

What is on your list for next year ?

Comments (94)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sharon, I love my Savannah. What a beautiful rose and Olivia is very pretty as well she had been a bit slower to repeat but when she does , Ooohhh la la.

Savannah

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am to the point where I am only replacing roses that I love. I have been reducing the number of roses that I have and am moving the ones I am keeping to containers. tired of fighting the crabgrass, Johnson grass, etc etc. Have done away with three gardens and am only keeping the two right in front of my house. I bought everything on my wish list at RUs open house and sale except Guy Savoy and Henri Matisse. I have them on order for next spring.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
  • Related Discussions

What's On Your List For Next Year?

Q

Comments (10)
    I have an ongoing wishlist, but I feel pretty satiated at the moment (let's see how long that lasts ~5 minutes?). But, since you asked, I am posting a picture of Hoya publicalyx 'Black Dragon' taken just now. It has been growing quite swiftly. It lost a leaf at some point, due to that pot drying out too fast for me, but otherwise it's been robust. This one grows faster than any of my other publicalyxes (is that how you pluralize it?). I photographed it next to sp. Philippines #10, which I received at the same time, so you have a comparison. They were both similarly sized when they arrived. I believe maybe the publicalyx had one more leaf. #10 lost a leaf too, I believe and grew a new one, and it has an invisible (in this picture) new leaf developing, so it's not been as stagnant as it looks.
    ...See More

Anyone starting a list for 'next year'?

Q

Comments (13)
    You people have problems. Its only July of THIS year and you're making lists for what to buy next year!LOL That said this is my list although I don't know if I even have the room for them (I have .13 acres! thats the size of some peoples houses) and I am just new at this! sagae paradigm Queen of the seas Abiqua Drinking Gourd? Blue Mouse Ears Guardian Angel - kind of on the fence Olive Bailey Langdon jewel of the nile? Dream Queen or Dream Weaver Fair Maiden fortunei Albo Picta Lunar Orbit Remember Me Spartacus Velvet Moon Cat Eyes El Nino Sum of All Alvatine Taylor
    ...See More

On my list for next year.....

Q

Comments (14)
    I've actually never ordered from them before, so I have no personal experience. However, when I had emailed them about availability of Shadowfax, I was told that they will have a few "nice sized plants" available for sale in the spring. You can certainly email them and ask what sized plants they would be sending. Alexa - who has a Shadowfax on reserve for next year.
    ...See More

My list for next year???

Q

Comments (51)
    Good idea sharing our wish list :) I think I may order that variegated Eureka from Target. I don't use many acidic lemons and for that price it'll be a great ornamental tree. When I do get lemons from it, I'll cook up some baked goods for the special holidays. I'd want to add a Gold Nugget for its reputation of an amazing flavor and according to four winds it ripens in spring/summer. I'd add a second mandarin that ripens a different season near winter..a Satsuma mandarin or maybe a Page mandarin as Brian suggested it's easy to grow. Mandarins for both cold and warm weather seasons! A blood orange for the unique taste. I'd love to have a citrus fruit with hints of berry flavor. I've read posts here about different experiences with each variety so I'm not sure which I'd go for. Either a Moro or Tarocco but I definitely want homegrown blood oranges. A Sunquat maybe? If I ever get to try one. Lastly either the finger lime or red lime. I haven't decided which I like better. The caviar beads look adorable but the red lime pulp is also so beautiful. I prefer to eat fruit fresh out of hand so these limes are lower on my general grow list.
    ...See More
  • pink rose(9b, FL )
    6 years ago

Mine is :

Peach Swirl , Frida Kahlo , Parade Day , Candace , Purple Lodge .

Unfortunately they have to be on Fortuniana . Already contacted all 3 vendors but no luck so far .

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked pink rose(9b, FL )
  • hrabbag
    6 years ago

I'll have one spot in my front yard where I need to dig out California Dreamin' (she's a twig) and replace with something else. I want something dark pink in that spot, like Pretty Lady Rose or Grand Dame. Until I finish digging out and shaping my backyard beds I cannot put any roses in there but on my wish-list are Distant Drums and/or Koko Loco and I want to try out an Austin, haven't decided which one though.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked hrabbag
  • enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Kristine and Modest - I ordered Crazy Love and Tangerine Skies from Fresh garden Living. She has an Etsy store and Amazon store and is co-owner of Star Gazer Perennials. The roses are own root small but very healthy and vigorous and gown organically.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/FreshGardenLiving?ref=l2-shopheader-name

She doesn't have Crazy Love listed but does have Tangerine Sky. I wrote to see if she has anymore Crazy Love available. I'll let you know when I hear back from her. She is out of Oregon so perfect for you Kristine since your roses won't need to travel completely across the country!

here's a pic of the Crazy Love that came on Saturday, August 5. She ships USPS so the roses get here really fast.

Kordes Crazy Love Sunbelt Rose

Sharon

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked enchantedrosez5bma
  • enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Kristine and Modest- I just heard from Karyn at Fresh Garden Living. She is processing her Crazy Love rose orders now and will know the beginning of next week if she has any left for this season. if not it will have to wait till spring. I'll check back with her next week and let you know or you can check her site if preferred.

Sharon

• needmoremulch
    6 years ago

I've gotten 3 from her this summer: Crazy Love, Quicksilver, and Tangerine Skies. I expect Michelangelo to arrive this week. She does a fantastic job packaging, and they have arrived fresh and healthy even in this summer heat.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked needmoremulch
  • enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

needmoremulch- I've bought several roses from Karyn at FGL. All are extremely healthy and growing nicely. Quicksilver, newts year is already around 2 feet tall. I love the fact that she ships USPS which is far quicker tan UPS or Fedex. She's a great vendor to deal with and quick to respond to any questions.

Sharon

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Kristine- thanks for the info on both Savannah and Olivia Rose Austin rose. Both are must haves for next spring. Your Florentina is stunning. I just planted my band from Fresh Garden about a week ago. She's going in a warm garden of reds, oranges and yellows flanked by 2 Cloud10 climbers. Crazy Love and Tangerine Skies will be planted in this bed along with Kordes Queen of Hearts and South Africa. I'm not sure QOH will fit in. Pictures of her show her more apricot than orange so I'll have to see how she looks once she blooms. I might try Plum Perfect in this bed since I'm kind of liking the thought of an orange and purple garden like Sun2shinie posted.

I think I'll also try Kordes Rosanna again. Palatine has her grafted so that'll give her a nice head start. She was very sad looking this year but I didn't check see if it was vole damage. She came through the winter of 2015-2016 well so I was surprised that she didn't survive this winter which was milder. I'm thinking the voles probably damaged her root system beyond survival.

I'm hoping my seashell "moats" will work. I had to move a couple of roses planted with this method and I could barely sink the shovel in. I'm hoping the irregular shells lock together so the nasty little critters can't pry them apart. The crushed oyster shell form Tractor Supply was a total waste of money. I planted a coneflower in the crushed shells and they ate it off at the stem base.

Rosanna flowered the first year and her flowers were a gorgeous blend of cherry pink and coral. I was thinking of trying Colette, which is beautiful, but many complained of black spot susceptibility and she's listed as hardy to zone 7.

Sharon

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Kristine- is your Savannah grafted or own root. She is so lovely. Mossy44 suggested her as a complimentary rose for my Ascot, Strawberry Sundae hydrangea bed. She looks like she might be a nice companion and will offer a scent since Ascot has none. Either way she's definitely on the must have list.

Sharon

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

@enchantedrose - I planted rosanna this year. She is in a bed surrounded with bs and is completely clean. The foliage is incredibly green and glossy. It has bloomed twice now. Not a lot of blooms, but enough to make me happy.

This bloom is a few days old. And still looks decent.

• berrypiez6b
    6 years ago

Reine des Violettes, Duchesss de Rohan, Deuil de Dr Reynaud and maybe Strawberry Hill

The key to my restraint is

Don't write anything down, rely on memory.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked berrypiez6b
  • needmoremulch
    6 years ago

Haha, berrypie7!

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked needmoremulch
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sharon, Savannah is on multiflora from Palatine .

Everyone has such cool ideas for colors. The planning is such fun.

Sweet Olivia is blooming again. What clean foliage.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    6 years ago

I recently have been admiring polyanthas and would like to obtain Kim Rupert's LAUREN. It is out of stock from listed sources, but I'm hoping it will be available this spring. I think I will send them an email.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
  • enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Halloblondie-thanks for the info.

Kristine- thanks as well. I think I'm going to order her from Palatine. I like own root since they're so easy to plant in our extremely boulder strewn New England soil but I like the fact that the rose is already on a more developed root system so she can use her energy for top growth and flower production instead.

Sharon

Original Author
    6 years ago

Sharon make sure that when you plant Savannah you give her space because she has gotten in this first year a good 4 feet with no sign that she is going to stop anytime.

unfortunately I planted her right in front of Olivia and she is Head and Shoulders taller so she gets moved to a new spot or she can be the queen of the show

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up Christine. You're quite a bit warmer than me, I'm z5b so she'll probably stay a more manageable size. I think I'll be putting her in the mirrored bed with Ascot and my Strawberry Sundae hydrangea. Strawberry Hydrangea has soft blush pink and white blooms so i think Savannah will work nicely with her peachy pink blooms.

Olivia will be in her own spot and I'll be planting three as DA recommends since most of his roses are more slender.

Both of your roses are stunning. Do you spray?

Sharon

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    6 years ago

I decided I need at least two more:

Blue for You

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.40525

Acapella:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.26811

I'll probably buy them this fall . Since they're only available own root, I'll put them in pots. So far, all my own-root roses potted in an potting soil and expanded shale mix have done very well, so hopefully these will, too.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • rosecanadian
    6 years ago

I have Acapella. I love the fragrance - one of my favorites!! It smells like banana marshmallow candies - very sweet. However, mine isn't all that vigorous yet. I think this is its 3rd year. But I do think it's a good rose to get. I'll be interested to see how yours does - maybe it needs more heat.

Carol

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    6 years ago

Carol, Acapella is only on my list because I saw a picture of yours! It seems to be a widely grown rose the world over, except for North America. I do wonder why no major grower here has picked it up.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

Kristine, your Savannah is beyond luscious in those photographs. I had no idea she was so beautiful. Is she a good bloomer? I have Olivia also, and she's becoming a big girl, too. I think Savannah is waaay more gorgeous than Olivia. Problem here is pale colored blooms like Olivia's don't look good from a distance in this hot, sunny climate.

For those wanting Tamora, here she is a couple of days ago, making a little wedding bouquet on her own.

Colette says, I can make one of those, too.

Augusta Luise says, you girls are slackers.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

I also want to see if I can get Kim Rupert's Lauren, and the two likely sources are Burlington and Rogue Valley.

As for roses I WANT, there are still 100's on my wish list but most of them are unavailable in the US, including unfortunately the lovely Augusta Louise (Palatine confirmed that they won't be able to release her this year again, for reasons outside of their control). Among the ones I think I'll be ABLE to buy, I have:

Tangerine Streams (replacement),

Tangerine Skies (hard to keep straight obviously)

Red Intuition (replacement)

Chaucer or Cymbeline (if Angel Gardens or Roses Unlimited has it, thanks to all the enabling going on)

Prairie Star

Leverkusen

Morden Belle

Love & Peace (replacement)

Marie Curie (replacement)

Mel's Heritage (one more try in my most protected spot)

Vol de Nuit and Ingrid replacements (assuming Rogue Valley offers them again)

Artic Circle (and its odd misspelled name)

Bliss

Demetra

Kiss Me kate

Lady X (replacement)

Molineux (replacement)

Rita Levi Montalcini (replacement)

Soul Sister (the Kordes one)

Any of the "Smooth" series from Easy To Grow Bulbs

And from Agave Farms, Imperatrice Farah, Addictive Lure, Ronnie de Klerk, Passion of St. Peters, and Garden & Home

Alakazam, if For Love of Roses is able to propagate this tricky rose

Isphahan

Felicite Parmentier

Belle Doria

And I admit to already having ordered the following for next spring:

Northland: Emily Carr, Fire Meidiland, Gruss an Heidelberg, Orange Flare, Rainbow Happy Trails, Whiz Bang

For Love of Roses: Autumn Splendor, Brookstown Inn, Coat of Many Colors, Conundrum, Ingrid, and Memphis Magic

Regans: Dream Come True and Fired Up (replacements), Peach Swirl, Rosie the Riveter, and Sweet Mademoiselle

For those of you wanting Frida Kahlo I had two very nice blooms from mine this year, and for a first year rose I'm quite impressed with its growing habits.

I got mine from an end of the planting season special, along with Apricot Princess to make up the price for the discount. Surprisingly Apricot Princess has been a very nice bloomer in the first year, pretty regular blooms and darker than I'd have thought given the "apricot" in the name. Sorry my shadow is blocking this one but it shows some of the promise of this rose.

I have no illusions that this will be the end of rose buying, since we haven't even finished the growing season of 2017! I'm enjoying everyone's lists.

Cynthia

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • boncrow66
    6 years ago

This is my list for now, always subject to change :).

Cream veranda

plum perfect

savannah

reine des violettes

Paul Neyron

Natchitoches Noisette

madame Isaac Pierre

Rosette Delizzy, Mlle de Sombreuil and Mcclinton tea, I can't decide yet on which one.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked boncrow66
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am overwhelmed with the spectacular roses. How am I supposed to have one bit of control when you all have such beauties. You keep reminding me of some that I have forgotten . My list Continues to grow.

Nippstress you have such a huge list and such one grest choices. I love your picture of Frieda, guess she needs to great on the list.

I have several roses from For love of roses and one of them is brookstown Inn. I'm waiting for the second flash to see if I like the colors better the first few blooms. I thought this is the ugliest Rose I've ever seen I may have to dump it in the trash. But then it got a little better and a little better and the new blooms look like they may be what the picture on their website shows so hopefully it will be beautiful because I really wanted something striped . they have some fun Roses coming up dont they? I love the Dave Bang roses .

Sharon, I started out with the spraying program and I used neem oil and it seems like when I sprayed things kind of got powdery mildew or weird or something so I quit spraying and everything looks fabulous

I'm really working on soil Improvement and feeding the roses and if I see some black spot or powdery mildew I just cut it off and hope for the best and so far that's working out okay

Original Author
    6 years ago

Nanadoll, thank you for the compliment on Savannah it is really a very prolific Rose and it's so pretty and it's going like crazy it's so healthy. But your Tamara oh my goodness I've just added two of those to my list and I might even get more of those are stunning stunning stunning

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Nanadoll, are those own-root Tamara? Simply scrumptious! And isn't Augusta Louise a Tantau rose not sold in the USA? Where are you getting these beautiful things if you don't mind me asking?

Kristine's Savannah are way more gorgeous than mine in my heat. My lovely blooms from March are now hard and flat and coral, sigh...

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked lavenderlacezone8
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for the lovely compliment on Savanna however mine are pretty flat too and right now all the flowers are in a bouquet at the top of the stem. I don't love that look but I see that I have dozens of blooms that are lower down so it'll make the blooms more evenly distributed around the bush I think thats a better look ,for me anyways.

It is in a really Primo location it gets morning son from Sunrise until about 3 in the afternoon and then the Sun goes behind the trees and I do water everyday and I know it probably doesn't need it but I do anyway.

And please don't ever compare any of your plants to mind because we all have equally beautiful plants some are struggling more than others. The ones that are not doing so well I don't post pictures of them . So I have a great Savannah and I have a great Beverly and some things that are still struggling but we all have so many beautiful things and we love our roses and do the best we can to keep them thriving and healthy . ,And don't even get me started and my poor Rock and Roll it has had two blooms. I don't post pictures of that poor guy. Lol

• totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

I need to see how my new Fort grafted roses do after their first winter. I may get koko loco on Fort to replace my own root one which is not very vigorous (perhaps too shady). Also deciding on Nahema grafted on Fort vs own root.

I am also interested in

-Bathsheba

-Roald Dahl

-Vogue Anniversary

-Colette

-Dames de Chenonceau

-Lady of the Mist

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked totoro z7b Md
  • Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    6 years ago

Cynthia, I emailed Burling and she does not have Lauren. I will try Rogue Valley Roses and Angel Gardens next and let you know.

It's nice to see the variation on your Frida Kahlo blooms.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I do not know why I let myself get so excited when I read the different vendors having a big sale

That happened yesterday with Jackson and Perkins yay everything's on sale, nothing is in stock today heirloom yay everything's $30, nothing is in stock . Why do they even bother to post a sale when there is nothing to choose from?

I have gotten nice roses from Heirloom but every season their price goes up by so much. To pay 40 plus dollars for the same rose that I can get somewhere else for 20 it makes no sense.

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

I have the same excitement problem! Even when I know that I'm going to have to remove some to make room, I start instantly plotting on the new ones (pun not intended!).

I went crazy this spring when I saw ones that were $45 at Heirloom, a vendor I've spent obscene amounts with, priced at 6 and 9 dollars locally and practically bought out the whole store!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

Lavenderlace, you asked about Tamora being own root up the thread. As far as I know, mine is grafted on multiflora. I got her about nine years ago from Pickering (no longer in business) in Canada. Yes, Augusta Luise is a Tantau, which I purchased from Hortico several years ago. They sold her for a couple of years, and then she disappeared. She is still under patent, and Tantau is so on again, off again. She was sold very briefly by Palatine, starting last spring as a potted plant that buyers had to purchase in person at the nursery. The odd thing is Ascot, also a Tantau and under patent, has been sold for a number of years by Palatine, and I assume will be sold this upcoming season, but who knows what will happen. Diane

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Thanks for the info Diane! Yours are so gorgeous and Austins and Tantau do well here so hope springs eternal.

• Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

Well, I might as well share my list...even if I'm a tad embarrassed about how much there is.

Austin's -

Teasing Georgia

Brother Cadfael

Crown Princess Margareta

Sharifa Asma

Scepter'd Isle

Abraham Darby

Princess Alexandra of Kent

Perdita

Windermere

Wollerton Old Hall

Lady of Shalott

Queen of Sweden

Heritage

Strawberry Hill

Jubilee Celebration

And as of 10 mins ago, Tamora :)

From Palatine (if they're available)

Barkarole

Nahema

Honeymoon Arborose

Summer Romance

Earth Angel

Jacques Cartier

Felicite Parmentier

Paul Neyron

Reine de Violette

Alchemist

Folklore

& Poseidon

The list for Hortico is mixed, I'm not sure what they'll have...but, fingers crossed -

Louise Odier

Colette

Sunrise Sunset

Quietness

& Parade :)

A few of the Austin's, like Perdita, I hope to order from Hortico. I have 6 Austin's from the list already ordered from a local nursery, for spring 2018 pick up :) to be honest, I'm not even sure how all of these will do for my zone! I'm still researching...but I'm hopeful! These are the must haves :)

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

PS. I completely agree with Kristine that the pictures don't help my ever growing list! *Cough - Tamora - Cough* ...but keep them coming anyway, I'll be broke, but happy :)

Original Author
    6 years ago

Gillian, what a great selection of roses !!!. Wow, I am envious of all of your Austins. And I agree on Tamora, I had never even heard of that Rose and bam, now I need 2. Lol

I saw a picture of Mitsouko and now I really want that rose too.

AND today I adopted a lonely looking Figi at Walmart. I saved it from a certain death by lack of care.

• Ken Wilkinson
    6 years ago

I just got my fall confirmation from K&M today. They were able to get good bud wood for Dublin late spring and my 2 bush's were out of the hardening off house and looked good. So, my fall order looks like this;

2 Dublin's

2 Touch of Class

1 Louise Estes

1 Whirlaway

Then early spring 2018 from Edmunds;

2 Ring of Fire

I'll have to extend my HT bed just a little and my Mini/Miniflora bed by one bush, but everything is falling into place real nice.

6 years ago

Hahaha, it is just like that isn't it Kristine?! One beautiful picture and I'm off hunting the internet & hmf to see if I can have it! Usually, for me, it's a no. Darn arctic conditions we live in.

And I received a lovely email this morning, my local nursery worked it out so that I can pick up 12 of the Austin's on my list! (They're doing a personal order from DA for me, since I'm not sure how to order from the states!) So long as it was own root, they put it on the list for me :)

No Tamora though, that one I'll have to find elsewhere. Maybe Hortico?

Gillian

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Gillian - that's great!! What a wonderful local nursery!! Wahoo!

Carol

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked rosecanadian
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, Gillian, that is awesome. What a great nursery.

So pictures on here tend to be better than most of the website pictures so ones that I never would have considered like Ascot, Mitsouko, and Tamora. All are must haves.

• SoFL Rose z10
    6 years ago

I'm already itching for fall to arrive. I have a list ready to go. I want to get mostly duplicates of roses that have done well for me already to replace unhealthy ones struggling in the garden and a few new ones that are being released.

On my list is another Charlene de Monaco. Mine has been great. I need more.

Evelyn who is getting a prime location in the garden. I'd like another wedding bells. Such a healthy carefree plant. And I'd like a scepter d isle on fortuniana. Mine get bs but keep on ticking. I'd also like to get Windermere and Lady Emma Hamilton on fortuniana. I'd like another spirit of freedom too. Mine have all done surprisingly well.

As for new roses. I want to try the vogue anniversary rose. I can't believe what they are charging for it, so I may hold off another season and see what others say about it. But it sure looks pretty. Also kiss me Kate, Bliss and oh happy day.

Im also wanting to replace my yves Piaget that died after I tried moving it.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked SoFL Rose z10
    6 years ago

Theyre a fantastic nursery! Regardless of ordering me the roses :) The staff is the best, they're incredibly welcoming and helpful, all Master Gardeners in our area, so I feel comfortable asking them questions and not being misled for a sale. If they don't carry it, they help you find someone in the area that does.

Every city/township should have a garden center like this one :) wish I could bring you all here to get your Austin's! :)

& Kristine, I have Ascot, it's huge!!!! It's a first year bareroot and is already 5ft tall. Lets hope I have some cane next spring after winter, so it'll put more energy into blooming :) (only 2 roses so far, and a 3rd just getting ready to open, but it's a baby so I'm being patient)

SoFL, those are beautiful choices! I can't wait to see pictures next spring! I have my fingers crossed that I can find Kiss Me Kate as well, but it's not on my list yet, I'm waiting to see if Palatine adds it into stock :)

Original Author
    6 years ago

Soflo, nice choices. I keep vacillating on Septer D Isle and Wedding Bells.I have so many pinks, but can you ever have too many? I don't think so lol. I am back and forth on lady Emma or Lady of Shallot , still more decided.

The hot pinks and purples are in the backyard. In the front yard I started out with Julia Child so kind of a yellow theme so I'm going to stick with that for the front yard. So anything orange/peachy is going out front.

The backyard gets to have all the fun stuff I guess.

My poor Rock and Roll has had a total of 2 blooms and one is coming on right now. Not sure if it's the soil, it's in a big huge planter box that we filled, maybe the sun isn't quite as direct there . I'm not sure. I'm going to give it another year in that location and see if it does any better if not I'll consider moving it. But it gets sun from 6 in the morning until 3 in the afternoon so it should be fine as far as the sun goes. It's looking healthy it's just not putting out blossoms.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

Gillian- I'm considering Ascot but have read mixed reviews. She'll be getting about 5 hours of sun a day I'm not sure if this is the right rose for this area. The flowers are so gorgeous though.

Sharon

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Gillian, I can't comment on Ascot specifically, but my other roses didn't thrive with 5 hrs sun Cincinnati. Is the shade complete or dappled? I had to take out multiple roses that actually received more than that and am replacing them with Hybrid Musks and two hydrangeas. Viking Queen does OK, but way fewer blooms and growth than her twin in a full sun spot. The ones I moved to a sunnier spot are Sugar Moom, Falstaff and Heathcliff, and Darcey Bussell. Their shade was due to a spruce.

Kristine, that's how my house is with the "hot" colours in the front, actually just daylillies, gallardia and black-eyed susans. I would like to add some deep purple to it, and I'm considering planting some roses if I could ensure they'd be BS free. It's the best sun in my house now that the oak tree limbs are cut back. I have a Cl. Clotilde Soupert and two cuttings of Sally Holmes that I'm considering going up the brick face or even on the brick wall. Hmmm. I'm loving the flowers and vigor of ClCS; it's one of my favorites this year.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

vaporvac- I asked about Ascot. None of my yard gets more than 5 1/2 hours of sun which makes rose growing difficult. I'm not looking for rose laden bushes like some of the stunning photos posted here. I know that's impossible with my growing conditions but I would like some blooms. Some Austins do well in my light conditions- Queen of Sweden, Windermere and Heritage. My DB was a bloomed really well but succumbed to voles (she also was prone to blackspot) Munstead Wood also bloomed nicely in these conditions but was not very winter hardy for me and bus's horribly. The Kordes roses seem to perform better here and seem more hardy too.

Sharon

6 years ago

For me BS was a major issue in the low light. You may fare better if your shade is from a deciduous tree. Have you looked into any of the HMs? I think they all get largish, but are very pretty.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    6 years ago

vaporvac- thanks. The shade is deciduous. What is an HM?

Sharon

4 years ago

I guess i didn't answer this question! Oops! : D Sharon, if you're still out there, HM stands for Hybrid Musk.