SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

August....Starting With Rain and Cool Weather!

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
16 years ago

Any time that you can start the month of August with cooler, cloudier and rainier than usual weather, that is a good thing....right?

After having a relatively dry July, we were actually needing rain as our yucky old clay soil down in the front pasture was beginning to crack. I know, I know, it is hard to believe that the wet, soggy, squishy, soppy, gloppy June clay turned to cracked, dry clay in late July, but it is true! That's one of the reasons I hate the clay so, and have to work so hard to improve it even just a little bit.

So, the skies are getting VERY DARK here, the temps have dropped (and they weren't that bad to begin with), the thunder is roaring, and we're expecting rain any minute now. Yippee!

In July, we had rain early in the month (5.6" thru 7-13) and then no rain at all until yesterday, when we received an inch of rain.

I'm hoping for at least an inch today.

The radar is mixed green and red and it looks like parts of Carter County and western Love County are getting pounded.

If it rains and then the rain stops, I am going to run out to the flower beds and pull weeds while the ground is soft.

It is sad that the prospect of a little rain is making me SO EXCITED, but after a couple of dry weeks, I was dreading having to drag water hoses around. Now, maybe I won't have to!

Dawn

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County