SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

What Peppers Do You Grow?

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
16 years ago

A few days ago we had a tomato variety thread going, and Sherri and I thought it would be fun to find out what types of peppers everyone grows here in Oklahoma.

So, I'll start with some my favorites and I hope some of you will add to the list.

Dawn

HOT PEPPERS

HABANERO TYPES: These are the hottest peppers you can grow. They range from 100,000 to 450,000 Scoville units, which is the measure of heat in peppers. If you dry or dehydrate peppers, their heat is concentrated by about 10X. My DH likes habaneros, so I grow a variety of them for him, including:

Habanero (bright orange)

Red Savina Habanero (bright red)

Fatali (bright yellow)

Peach Habanero (peachy orange)

White Habanero (ivory)

Chocolate Habanero (brown)

Scotch Bonnet (similar to habanero but matures later)

Caribbean Red (tested dry at 445,000 Scoville units)

Congo Trinidad (extra large red habanero type)

Other Hot Peppers:

Aji Red (about 50,000 Scoville units)

Anaheim

Nu Mex Jim (the largest Anaheim type I've ever seen)

Ancho/Poblano (Callned 'ancho' when used fresh/green to make chile rellenos. If you let it mature to red, dry it, and grind it into powder, it is referred to as poblano.)

Fish (Variegated pods and leaves. Great to spice up seafoo.)

Bulgarian Carrot (salsa, sauces, hot pepper jelly)

Chiltepin (100,000 Scoville units)

Tepin (Bird Pepper. Like Chiltepin this is a native of parts of Texas and Mexico. Tiny pepper with big taste and heat. Sometimes perennial here in southern Oklahoma (it sometimes comes back after mild winters). Great in salsa and used to flavor beans and soups.

Jalapeno--use fresh or for pickling

TAM Jalapeno--the flavor of regular Jalapeno but with less heat

Fooled You Jalapeno--flavor of regular Jalapeno but no heat

Tabasco

Paprika 'Alma'

Purple Jalapeno--same great Jalapeno flavor and heat but matures to deep purple instead of red.

Cayenne--available in several colors. I like to grow the red, yellow and purple ones.

SWEET PEPPERS:

The sweet peppers we grow fall into one of three types: banana, bell or Italian.

BANANA TYPES:

Banana Supreme

Sweet Banana

ITALIAN TYPES:

Carmen

Jimmy Nardello (a sweet, sweet, sweet heirloom)

Marconi (regular)

Golden Marconi

BELL TYPES:

Super Heavyweight--HUGE peppers....up to twice the size of other standard bell peppers that we grow. Matures late.

Matures to yellow.

Roumanian Rainbow--fairly short plants that produce heavy yields and are very drought tolerant

Blushing Beauty--gorgeous--have plants in various shades all at once and puts on quite a show.

Chinese Giant

Chocolate Beauty

Orange Beauty

Red Beauty

Orange Sun

Purple Beauty

Mini-Belle (mature to various colors. You can buy them in separate colors or in a mix).

ORNAMENTAL PEPPERS: This is a very neglected category. I grow some ornamental peppers every year. I like to combine them with tropicals in mixed borders. I plant them with cannas, castor beans, pentas, periwinkles, celosias and cockscombs, etc. Ornamental peppers come in all heights and colors. Some have variegated foliage. Some ornamental peppers are edible--they tend to be VERY hot.

Chilly Chili

Medusa

Marbles

Little Elf

Bolivian Rainbow

Filus Blus

Tri-fetti

Starburst

Largo Purple

Poinsettia

NuMex Sunburst

NuMex Centennial

NuMex Sunset

NuMex Sunrise

NuMex Twilight

Riot

Royal Black.

Peppers are like tomatoes--there's a ton of different varieties out there.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting