SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jedbeginner

Beginner in need of Pest Control Advice

jedbeginner
16 years ago

Hey everyone... after about 3 weeks of indirectly seeking help with my plant woes, scouring the internet for advice from online postings like this, I thought it was time to just directly ask you all for some help!

I have a jade plant that has a lot of sentimental value. It also, more likely that not, has a lot of spider mites!! (I know, I know, *another* "spider mite posting"...but WAIT...this is a bit different!). I have more pointed questions and i just know there's someone out there who can answer them...

Here are the facts:

(1) I repotted my Jade plant about six months ago into a larger pot, which was borrowed (okay, "taken") from my parent's garage. It was previously used for outdoor plants (though my jade is a houseplant). That was mistake #1...whatever the cause for the infestation is...it undoubtedly piggy-backed in on the pot.

(2) About three months ago, I noticed that the jade plant's leaves were drooping a bit at the bottom (which I chalked up to insufficient light in the winter months), and the tops had white specks on them (which i though might be just the plant leaf's natural coloring). [I know...i'm starting to sound REALLY dumb]

(3) about two months ago, I started noticing the occasional leaf drop and bronzed leaf.

(4) about three weeks ago, things got "for reals" and almost every leaf around the bottom was bronzed over, and many leaves would drop with the slightest touch.

I was actually looking on how to root another jade plant online, when I saw an article on spider mites. I had the symptoms...but when I did the paper test, I couldn't see anything scurrying around (my vision might be bad). Nevertheless, the symptoms matched so much that i took recommended action. I've been showering it (undersides), and spraying it with the rubbing alcohol/water/drops of dish soap mix on the time schedules most recommended. I gave it a good haircut...taking away all the bronzed leaves and the ones on the bottom that looked like they were on their way out. STILL, whenever i do a leaf shake to paper test, i can't see ANYTHING.

OK...HERE ARE my specific questions:

(1) How will i know when the spider mite infection is beaten? When can I expect to see improvement?? For example, I have been treating the plant for about 2 weeks now, and another leaf has just fallen off.

(2) How much can I trim my jade plant before *I* am the one who kills it??

AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY:

(3) it is possible that I misdiagnosed the problem?? Could it have been that there were NEVER spider mites? What else could cause a jade plants bottom leaves to bronze, leaves all over to drop off, and the top to speckle white?? This is key, because i NEVER, to this day, have SEEN a spider mite. I don't have a magnifying glass, i'm afraid.

For this last question, I'll add the additional fact, which I probably should have posted earlier:

- when i was initially cleaning up the area in preparation for treament, I took the plant out of the decorative plant holder basket it was in, and I saw little bugs (bigger than mites I think...readily visible with the naked eye) hopping around. Maybe 10-12 of them...looked like hopping fruitflies, kind of. I threw that basket out, washed the exterior of all the pots, and sprayed the plant down with alcohol/water mix. Could THOSE have been to blame? I have not seen them ever on the plant.

OKAY...I'll leave it to you all...PLEASE help me... this was the plant my mother gave me back when i moved out.

jed

Comments (3)