SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aduval_gw

Smoketrees Golden Spirit, Young Lady, Grace

aduval
15 years ago

Folks, I live in Central Virgina. I planted a few smoke trees last year: Young Lady and two Golden Spirit, and Grace. Grace is leafing and doing well, although seems to be getting some tiny red spots here and there. Young lady is doing better than Golden Spirit, but is starting to get the same "blight" that Golden Spirit has had for the last two years. They begin leafing out very well in the spring, but then are attacked by something I have yet to figure out. The leaves have tiny blacks spots that look as though they have been "peppered" with a pepper shaker. Then the margins begin turning brown, and they start crimping at the edges. It is very upsetting. If I pick the diseased leaves off the trees my plant will be bald. I have sprayed with Neem and Insecticidal Soap, although I don't think this is an insect problem. I have also sprayed with Orthene/Orthenex, whichever is the fungicide. I cannot find anything about this problem on the internet. All three trees are planted on the NW side in soil with good drainage. Cotinus Young Lady is leafing beautifully, but she is starting to get those tiny black peppered spots on her leaves as well. Our winter has been rather dry, but I have read that Golden Spirit and Young Lady prefer a dryer soil. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT? Thanks so very much.

Comment (1)