SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

2009 AAS Winners To Watch For

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

Last week's arrival of the HPS catalog made me start wondering what veggies and bedding plants had been name the 2009 All American Selection winners. I found two of them in the HPS catalog, and did a little sleuthing to dig up the other two. Watch for them as seeds or bedding plants this coming winter/spring.

COOL-SEASON BEDDING PLANT AWARD WINNER: Viola "Rain Blue and Purple". Bred by the Tokita Seed Co., this viola's blooms start out purple and white and mature to purple and blue, resulting in a drift of cool blue shades. A single plant will spread 10" to 14" wide, and this plant has shown good tolerance of both cool and warm temperatures.

VEGETABLE WINNER: WINTER SQUASH: "Honey Bear". Bred by the University of New Hampshire, this winter squash is very compact and bushy and is tolerant of powdery mildew. It also produces high yields for such a small plant. Each plant takes up about the same space as a zucchini plant, and produces from 3 to 5 dark green acorn squash that weigh about a pound each. Seeing this one on the 2009 AAS list confused me because Johnny's Selected Seed offered it in their catalog LAST YEAR as a 2008 AAS winner, which it wasn't. I guess Johnny was "psychic" but got a year ahead of himself.

VEGETABLE WINNER: EGGPLANT: Gretel. If this sounds sort of familiar, the AAS winner in 2008 was the similar but purple-skinned Hansel! Gretel is a fairly compact eggplant, about 3' tall by 2' to 3' wide, that produces clusters of glossy, white-skinned 3"-4" long eggplants. Bred by Seminis Vegetable Seed Co.

VEGETABLE WINNER: MELON: "Lambkin". Bred by Known-You Seed Co. Ltd., this is a Christmas melon (piel de sapo type) grown for use as a dessert or breakfast melon. It produces oval, 2 to 4-lb. fruits that have smooth yellow skin which often takes on a mottled green appearance as the melon matures. Has a very thin rind and white flesh when ripe, although the flesh nearest the rind stays greennish. It produces ripe melons fairly quickly, esp. for a piel de sapo type, in approximately 65 to 75 days.

I haven't looked up the Fleuroselect winners yet.

I DON'T have to have the latest cell phone, car, shoes, etc. but I do like trying the new AAS winners, although I sometimes wait and try them their second year instead of their first.....often waiting to see feedback on how they do during their first year in widespread cultivation.

If you want to try these, HPS already is offering the seed of "Gretel" and "Lambkin" in their 2008-2009 catalog, and Johnny's Selected Seed has "Honey Bear". I am sure they all will be widely available when the 2009 catalogs hit our mailboxes and their offerings get posted on the catalog websites, which usually happens in late autumn.

Dawn

Comments (2)