SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Red Ponderosa, Crimson Cushion, or Red Beefsteak Tomato

susanlynne48
12 years ago

I did pick up one tomato plant, the Crimson Cushion, at Lowe's in either late May or early June. Planted almost immediately, it has grown slowly, likely due to our heat. It is still only 2-3' tall, and grows in an upward fashion, looking more like the "Sky Pencil" of tomatos. It is setting tomatos in this heat, which is to me astonishing. I have about 8 of them forming now.

Everything I read about their heirloom is that is doesn't get as tall as some of the other indeterminates. I am wondering if this is true or not. It is growing in a 30 gallon container and obviously still has lots of room to grow. I shake the plant daily to loosen the pollen, and whether that helps or there is another pollinator involved in this operation, I don't know. I really didn't expect it to do much until late August, to be honest.

It seems pretty easy to grow so far. I haven't even staked it yet since it is growing so strongly upright. It is not a wide plant either. The new branches grow close to the stem, virtually hugging it, rather than somewhat lateral as most tomatos do. It is flowering heavily.

I know this is a really old tomato - from the 1870's, and nobody really grows it anymore in lieu of more popular and better tasting varieties available on the market. But am wondering if anyone out there grows it now, or has grown it recently and can tell me if this is the nature of the plant, to produce in such heat as we have, and humidity, too.

I feel lucky to have a producing tomato compared to what others have said on the forum about their tomatos dying, etc.

Susan

Comment (1)