SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flosdiner_gw

Overwhelmed by pests

flosdiner
14 years ago

This is my first post on this site and I may be asked to post some images but I thought the sooner I write in for help the better!

I have inherited a garden in Brooklyn where I have been living for under a year. I had previously had a garden in Brooklyn so I have some experience but I have not had one in this country for 4 years so I am a little rusty.

My garden is infested with many different varieties of pests. I want to figure out the best plan of action to tackle all of these.

My hybrid tea roses have black spot and aphids, which I assume has occurred from the ants roaming around in the soil underneath. (I should note I had mulched a few months ago using cedar.)I trimmed down the roses, disinfected everything and sprayed a ortho product very lightly even though I prefer home garden remedies.

My rose bush which is not near the hybrid teas has a huge colony of aphids including winged aphids. I cannot see ants in the soil of this bed though this has been mulched too with pine. It is a shady area mostly. It is close to bamboo but there aren't many things planted in this bed yet.

I have another small tree in the same bed as the hybrid teas, someone said it could be a non flowering dogwood though the leaves are red. They look wilted and curled under but I cannot find any aphids on this plant. Next to it is a green fern like leaf which has strange looking black small bugs that may have wings. I cannot identify what they are.

I also realize I have clover mites(those little red dot bugs), now in my house a bit as well! I am planting an herb container which I plan to keep upstairs on my little patio to ensure that they will be free of these pests. Any preventive measures I should take?

Now it seems on top of all of these pests the hybrid tea roses in both the side bed, and the rose bushes in the back bed as well as many other things have what I would call spider mites? They are the small white insects that leave webs on everything.

What do I do??? I care about plants and do not want to loose the garden I have inherited. It is looking worse and worse everyday and originally I had aphids(and I guess ants) but no other pests that I could see.

I have a plan of attack but I figure more knowledgeable people can help me.

I plan to rid the ants by putting grits in the soil. Then spray the plants that have aphids including the possible non-flowering dogwood with a veg, oil mixture. Trim the rose bush back and put a baking soda mixture on the tea roses to rid the black spot. For the clover mites, I have no idea what to do? Neem oil perhaps?

I know the doing too much can kill the good in ones garden making the bad pests come back. I do not want to do this.

Sorry for the very long post but I really need some help!!!!! Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (5)