SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

My Words came back to bite me again!!!!!!

elkwc
14 years ago

I have stated on several forums over the last year or so I really like all grass clippings and have never had trouble with Bermuda trying to reroot or start growing. I usually spread the clippings an inch or so deep per layer and here in our heat and wind they dry well. Last summer about this time due to the drought I hadn't got the normal amount of clippings and also opening a new area needed some bad. I mentioned at work my need and a couple of coworkers offered me theirs. One has a nice yard but the back yard is all Bermuda I believe and the other mows several yards around town. So I started using theirs along with what I got from the recreation department. Then we started receiving rain and the amount picked up and I had more than I needed. So instead of applying in shallow layers I started piling it up deep on the ends and against the fences for later use. One area where I put the clippings from them and had used the stored off and left about six inches I noticed Bermuda grass starting. Most seems to be shallow rooted and I'm thinking maybe started from seeds in the clippings. It is also where I hook up soaker hoses so it stays fairly damp. I have been taking the trowel and removing them as I find them. It is in just the one area and hopefully I can get it stopped before it spreads and I have a major problem. I will be careful what I pile up in the future and what I use. I now hope that someone that read my statements didn't apply a bunch and having trouble also. I've always said to spread it out in shallow layers and let dry. I feel if I had I would of been ok. Jay

Comments (11)