SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovepoco

my friend's dog bites me

ilovepoco
17 years ago

I'm looking for some ideas on how to handle a situation that is really starting to bother me.

One of my closest friends (and best dog-walking pal) lost a beloved dog at an advanced age about a year ago (her two and my two - all terriers - have been outing buddies for more than a decade.) Recently, she adopted a young mixed-breed (Schnauzer-Poodle?) from a rescue organization (unknown background - the dog was rescued from a shelter.) But there had most likely been some abuse because the dog is very nervous and quite afraid of men (I'm female.)

So. He was a sweetie the first few times we met. The next time I walked in her front door, he leaped at me, growling furiously, and bit my shin. Actually broke the skin through my jeans. Once she leashed him and we sat on the floor, he was fine again, all lovey-dovey, rolling in my lap gazing up adoringly, the whole nine yards.

Twice since then he has come up behind me on walks and snapped at my pant leg - hard, he is not kidding around. Yesterday evening when he did so, I gave him the stern-voice "Bad dog! Bad dog!" and she shushed me and eventually got the leash back on him. (YES, I agree with what you are thinking - if my dog had this problem, he would not be OFF the leash.)

She is taking him to obedience training (sit/stay stuff), and has discussed the biting problem with the trainer. She wants me to come over and help progressively desensitize the dog by offering treats as I stand in the doorway. I'm not sure that this is a valid approach, nor do I particularly want to come through any doorways if he's anywhere around :o)

I truly hope this situation can be resolved, but I'm not sure how to help. I am experienced with dogs - I've dealt with the general cranked-up madness of Jack Russell females for many years, so I have a pretty high tolerance level for intense dogs - but this is over the line. As things stand now, I can't relax when we are all out together because I'm always keeping an eye on him and I don't want him anywhere near me.

Any suggestions for me - and her - and him - would be much appreciated. FYI, he has bitten her as well, again, the coming through a doorway scenario.

Thanks,

Susan

Comments (29)