SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Dwarf Date Palm advice

Okay, like the Sago, almost everyone (in Florida at least) has one.

Back in March, my local Home Despot had their Spring Black Friday sale and they had a bunch of Robellinis on sale, so I grabbed three, two bags of Miracle-Gro cactus/palm mix and some Vigoro Palm, Ixara and Ornamental fertilizer.

Upon getting them home, I planted them on the north side of my house along the 'winter shade line' so that they will get full sun during the summer and the fronds should get hit by sunlight during the winter. I amended the soil with the Miracle-Gro and some Black Kow as I planted them. I did not add the fertilizer because I wanted what ever Home Despot and/or their supplier had used (if anything) to do its thing. Plus I've read many warnings about not fertilizing much of anything after transplanting.

Over the past three weeks (so two months after planting), I've noticed yellowing and then browning at the frond tips. I've done my research and this seems to point to potassium deficiency, something I've learned is a big problem with palms in mid-Florida. So today I spent my morning expanding the cleared area around the dates by another foot (lawn mower was getting to close to some of the lower fronds for my liking) and I added some more MG/BK as well as half the recommended dosage of Vigoro fertilizer.

Why half? Well, I have also learned lately that Florida palms tend to do well with a 15-4-15 +4 fertilizer. But looking at the bag of Vigoro today it only states 8-4-8 with no +anything. But I also know that these palms are not 'Florida palms' so I wanted to give them a shot of fertilizer and then come find out how I should proceed from here.

Also, the past two winters have been 'unseasonably cold' for mid-Florida according to some locals, which I am not. I know that the pygmy date can not handle freezing temps and as mine are on the north side of my house, they will be in direct contact with northern winds. I have been advised to put Christmas lights on my citrus trees to keep them from freezing after almost losing my Key Lime to frost, will this tactic work for the pygmy dates as well?

Thanks in advance for any information coming. Yes, I am new to 'gardening' but I'm trying to learn as I go. Some things I learn beforehand... some... like this issue... after.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor