SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxcat_gw

Bringing to the top... Cold hardy palms for North Central Ga.

maxcat
16 years ago

I live about 130 miles north of you in Greenville, SC. We are up against the Mountains in Red Clay country. Around here we grow Palmetto's (Cabbage Palm) and Pinda PalmÂs (Jelly Palm). In my back yard I have two Palmetto's and two Windmills right now. I also have 250 PindaÂs that I am growing to sell when they get big enough (3 foot trunks).

The Palmetto's I planted were 25 feet tall hurricane cut trees. You have to plant them right to grow in red clay. They do not like red clay. What we do in this area is dig a 42x42 hole in the ground. We put a little clay buster in the bottom. Then we back fill with sand up to where we want the Palm to sit . Once we sit the palm we finish filling around the palm with more sand. Do not over fill above where it was in the ground before. Then we water it in good and water every day for the first year. Tappering off on the water toward the end of that year. They do just fine.

On the Penda Palm we dig a hole twice the size of the tub it comes in. These are usually not over three or four foot high trunks. We take 50% Red Clay and 50% of a good store bought growing medium and plant it. They do just fine.

Windmills we just plant in Red Clay. They are like bamboo in that you can't kill them. A friend of mine planted over one thousand of these in a field last year.

Comments (2)