SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vja4him

What Will Gophers Leave Alone?

15 years ago

What plants can I plant in my flower beds that the gophers will leave alone? We live in Zone #14 (California), and our weather is already very hot!!

I'd like to have a wide variety of plants all year around. We can grow even in the dead of winter here! My east flower bed is 30 feet long and three feet wide (about 2 1/2 actual growing space). My west flower bed is 14 feet long and three feet wide (2 1/2 feet actual growing space).

My flower beds are both against the house, facing south, and have full, hot sun, from about 9:00 until 5:00. We have no shady spots at all, so I can't plant anything that will not tolerate the hot sun for many hours! However, in about two months, when the sun has moved as far north as it goes, my flower beds will less sun.

So far, the gophers have eaten my marigolds (several varieties), cosmos, hot peppers, green peppers, mint, dusty miller and pansies. They just push away the garlic and onions.

I started translplanting what few plants I have left yesterday into the back garden and will put some plants in pots today.

- Riding 4 Life

http://vj4him.blogspot.com/

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz