SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shuredkite

Do I Have A Hornets' Nest?

shuredkite
14 years ago

I think that I may, but I can't see any kind of nest anywhere. But, there are always at least two hornets that are ALWAYS hovering above my patio. They are very territorial and never leave their "posts". I live in a ground floor apartment with a patio and, above my front door, there are the decks for the apartments upstairs. (It's one long deck separated by a privacy wall.) From sunrise to sunset there is always one hornet that hovers over one end of the deck and another that "watches" the other end and underneath it. I've looked everywhere and I don't see a hornets' nest.

That said, I cannot imagine a reason why these two beasts are there ALL OF THE TIME unless they are...I don't know? Guarding something? They never leave. For a few weeks now.

At first, they were just there. Not a big problem. They were just hovering and buzzing overhead, but they are now attacking birds that fly by and killing bumblebees and I'm a little concerned. I went outside today and one of them keep flying at me in a way that seemed (for lack of a better word) intimidating. I'm no expert but, it seems to me, that if insects stick to a certain spot and defend it then there is a reason for that.

I called my landlord and from his tone I could tell that he thought that I was being overly dramatic. If I don't see a nest then there isn't a problem. He'll look around the next time that he is over to cut the grass.

Am I being overly dramatic? My slight understanding of hornets is that if there are a few in the Spring there'll be MANY more in the Summer. I don't want to have to wear a beekeeper's outfit to leave the house in the morning!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor