SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malorn

help ID weed killing peony! pics..

malorn
17 years ago

I did post this early spring in the weed/lawn forum and got some ideas..but now know it is not a fungus as suggested..it's a bit of a story..hang in there..

I have no lawn..just weedy grass and flowering weeds..last fall small patch (1 foot) turns brown and like "hay", spreads to about a 5 ft patch..I don't stress cuz I figure winter is coming..deal with it in spring..

Spring comes, patch still there..and peonies are dead..peonies are 10 feet away..decide to dig up peony to see why...see strange blades of grass poking up through soil..not there before..get hand rake, dig up grass..find they are all attached to a very long rope thingy..(sorry I don't know scientific names..I wish I did, I know rope is the wrong word but..I'm trying to describe it best I can..

The blades poking through soil attach to a long fibrous rope just under the soil, this rope is held in the dirt by really strong tiny roots..really tough roots..hard to pull these buggers..about every 1/2 inch on ths "rope" is another blade..waiting to break through..I've tracked these ropes all through my peony patch.wrapped around everything..everywhere, most of it is underground, only every now and then a few blades break the surface....I keep pulling on the rope..I eventually trace it right back to that brown patch I didn't want to deal with last fall!!

I don't know any of the common lawn weeds...I have googled it an found some similar stuff..but I now have pics and hope someone will tell me this is a simple lawn weed and will be easy to get rid of.. If I'm gently pull up 8-9 inch lengths of the weed at a time..It has completely invaded the area I planted a few plants. I wanted to move these..but now I'm afaid to as I don't want to transplnt this thing either..heck..the way it's growing..it will probably spread to my other yard shortly..geez..I'm hoping this is just crabgrass..something that I've heard of!

I made a photobucket album, click on pic for close ups..the pictures show the original brown patch, the blades poking up through soil, a fuzzy close up of the blades attached to a 6 inch section of rope, and a ball of it with the tiny roots attatched..

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket link

Comments (8)