SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petal_88

Black Spots on Inkberry Leaves

petal_88
13 years ago

Hello, I have 3 Inkberry shrubs (Ilex glabra Shamrock) that I planted last summer. Front foundation that gets morning sun and some afternoon. I amended the soil and mulched.

They were beautiful at the nursery and for a little while after I put them in. Within maybe a month or so, they started getting yellow leaves that dropped off. I didn't think much of it and planned to fertilize in the Spring. Later into the fall I started noticing some black spots on the leaves, but didn't think it was a big deal.

Then came our grueling winter with some subzero winds and then 5 feet of snow burying and knocking them down for weeks. I had to prune out broken branches on all of them.

Sorry to be so long-winded, that is the history but here is the problem now: There are black spots on almost all the leaves of all 3, and they are big blotches, some turn brown/purple kind of color, some cause the leaves to snap off at the tip, like they were folded over. I don't think I see any spores. Leaves are dropping off. I am used to seeing winter burn on for example my Vinca, but this seems so different from that and extreme I started to think it's a disease or fungus issue.

So I tried researching black spot and some sites say to spray, some say to leave it alone, others say you are doomed and you need to rip out the shrubs.

I am OK with having to take them out, but my real concern is if it is some kind of black spot, will it spread to my other plants and shrubs in my bed if I don't get them out soon? Is it too late once you start seeing it?

Also what about the soil, if it is black spot is my soil contaminated now in the area where they were? I am concerned about replanting something else there.

These are the first Inkberries I've had, I research and try to plant only perennials that aren't pest/disease prone so I am disheartened.

Thanks for any advice / experience.

Comments (2)