SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Getting Your Tomatoes To Ripen In Hot Weather

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

If you are plagued with tons of green tomatoes that are very slow to ripen, you can speed up the process to a certain extent. Know why? How how?

Once your daily high temperatures are averaging 86 degrees or higher, tomatoes ripen more slowly as a reaction to what seems like "extreme heat" to them. (To me, 86 degrees feels pretty nice!)

So, once your tomatoes have even the slightest tint of pink or greenish-pink (or greenish-yellow or greenish-orange, etc., depending on the ripe color of your mature fruit), you can pick them and take them inside the house and they will ripen more quickly in the milder indoor temperatures. This week, about half of the large tomatoes I have picked were at the breaker stage (where green is barely giving way to their mature color) and brought them inside. Most of them are then fully ripe in 2 or 3 days, which is probably less than half the time it takes them to go from breaker stage to full color outdoors. And, of course, different varieties ripen more quickly than others indoors, so your results may vary. Just spread them out in a single layer on a flat surface away from direct sunlight. (Some people like to place them in a sunny window, but that can result in sunscald, so I keep them out of direct sun.)

There are other advantages to picking the fruit at the breaker stage, including lower rates of damage/loss to pests that directly attack the fruit like stink bugs, tomato hornworms, birds and turtles. It also can prevent the radial or concentric cracking that sometimes occurs after a heavy rainrall or heavy watering.

I don't usually bother picking small-fruited cherry, currant and grape sized tomatoes at the breaker stage, but you can if you want.

If you are VERY experienced at growing tomatoes, and you have good first-hand knowledge of how they ripen--going from darker green to lighter green to whitish-green to the breaker stage, you even can pick them at the whitish-green stage and they still will ripen indoors most of the time.

So, if persistently green tomatoes are keeping you waiting too long before ripening, at this time of year it is probably because of the daily high temps., and you can work around it as described above.

Dawn

Comments (6)