SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamebird

Mice are eating my bean seeds!

gamebird
14 years ago

Last week I planted lima beans around my bean teepees, along with cucumbers (so if the limas didn't take, maybe the cucumbers would). The cucumbers have come up, but only a couple limas have. I've found two seeds that were dug up and had the germ chewed out and I can see where little holes have been dug where I put the other seeds. I figure it's mice. They destroyed some of my spring crops. I'll be putting out mouse traps, but I'm looking for other suggestions too.

I was thinking I'd take my next batch of lima bean seeds, make them moist, them coat them with cayenne pepper. Do you think that would help? I'm not sure mice dislike cayenne, but I've been told squirrels hate it.

I've also thought that maybe I should put boards or rocks over where I put the lima bean seeds and then remove them after 5 days. I think if I can prevent the mice from digging them up for a while, then they won't be as interested in the sprouted ones.

I lost my lettuce after it sprouted to the mice and I still have regular damage to my parsley from them. How likely is it the mice will eat the sprouts? How can I prevent it?

Comments (6)