SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Wicked Weather Forecast For July 29th-30th

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

This is just a heads up for all the gardeners on this forum who are thinking a little rain may fall later today and that it might be a nice rainshower. Although late July rainstorms tend to be less violent that those that occur in April, May and June, today's forecast involves the chance of some very rowdy weather. I don't usually get real excited about severe weather forecasts since we have them so often here, but the phrase about wind potentially toppling power poles tonight did catch my attention.

The NWS has issued forecasts that mention some severe weather concerns, and I thought I'd highlight them here.

A Flash Flood Watch has been issued for the Oklahoma and Texas panhandles beginning at 1 p.m. this afternoon. Jay, my watch and warning map doesn't show a watch for y'all yet, but it could happen since you're adjacent to the OK panhandle.

For western, central and southern Oklahoma, there is a slight risk of severe thunderstorms, with the slight risk area being south of a line from Buffalo to Enid to Stillwater. These storms most likely will occur after 6 p.m.

The following is a direct quote from the Hazardous Weather Outlook for today/tonight for western, central and southern OK: "Impacts...Hail up to the size of golfballs may damage cars...roofs...and vegetation. Wind gusts to 70 mph may damage outbuildings and trees...and also topple power poles."

For Eastern OK and Northwestern AR, the forecast includes:

Elevated risk of severe thunderstorms for Eastern Oklahoma and Northwestern Arkansas, to begin in late afternoon.

Elevated risk of flash flooding in Southeastern Oklahoma tonight.

Elevated risk of heavy rain beginning in late afternoon.

For these areas, the afternoon and evening hours could include severe thunderstorms with large hail and wind gusts around 60 mph. This weather could result in localized flooding.

Although rain is almost always needed and very welcome here in July, the hail and high winds pose significant concerns for gardeners (not that we can do much of anything about them). I do think I'll move all the container plants that I can up under the covered patio before the storms arrive tonight. And, of course, if you have a heavy tomato load on your plants and you're worried about heavy rain, wind or hail, you can pick everything that is past the breaker stage so the rain/hail won't damage it, including cracking and splitting fruit that results from heavy rainfall.

Finally, if any of your staked, trellised or caged plants of any type are in danger of toppling under their own heavy weight, it might be a good idea to give them a couple of extra stakes to help hold them upright if the heavy storms materialize.

If you have ripening melons and are in an area where large hail is forecast, you can cover the melons with cardboard boxes or plastic buckets.

I like July rain as much as the next person, and I know we need the rain, but I hope the hail and high winds don't materialize as forecast!

I hope everyone's gardens and yards benefit from the rains and avoid the damage.

Dawn

Comments (22)