SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

The Wicked Witch (Drought) Is Dead!

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

I suppose it is a tiny bit early to declare that the drought here in southcentral OK is ending, but I think it is. Yippee, hallelujah and glory be!

Don't get me wrong. It took us over a year (from August 2007 thru December 2008 or January 2009 to slide slowly into the moderate drought that left us in such dire straits this winter, and it will take just as long or longer to fully recover. However, with the most recent rainfall, we definitely are on the road to recovery.

I guess the big issue is whether we'll make a total recovery or if we'll get more-or-less out of the state of drought in spring, only to see it return in summer. A lot depends on whether the US stays in a La Nina or neutral pattern of if El Nino returns. Personally, I am hoping to see El Nino come back for a while.

Last year, our rainfall was about 15" below average, and we'll never get that 15" back. However, this year's rainfall is inching closer and closer to normal, our FWI numbers are started to look good although the soil is far from saturated, and our Keetch-Byram Drought Index numbers have pllunged from a high of about 690 (incredibly dangerous and left us with very intense wildfires almost daily in our county) at the worst of this winter's drought to 412 today which leaves me feeling incredibly relieved. I'd feel better if the KBDI fell to the 200s, and it just might if another inch or two of rain falls later this week.

I think our "official" rainfall for the weekend is 1.8" but we had 2.4" here at our house. We have puddles and we have mud, but we still have big cracks in the ground and empty ponds (3 of 5) and empty creeks (2 of 3). Our swamp looks a tiny bit swampy today and that is great news for the swamp plants.

Our "official" rainfall for 2009 at the Burneyville mesonet station is 5.6" so we're still below average, but at our house this year we've had about 2.5" more than that which puts us close to normal rainfall for the calendar year. Every time it has rained this year, we've had more at our house than at the Burneyville mesonet station and that, too, is a positive trend.

Since 2.4" fell here at our house this weekend, I expect rapid greenup of the pastures. Of course, for the ranchers, the drought will not end until their ponds refill and a lot more rain has to fall for that to happen. Some ranchers in Love and Carter counties have creeks that have been empty for three years--having never refilled since the 2005-2006 drought. I have no idea what it will take for those creeks to fill up again because you would have thought the May-June-July 2007 rains would have done it, but all that water fell so rapidly that it ran off and didn't stick around.

Still, for us here at our house and for much of our county, I believe the Wicked Witch of a drought is dead and I am celebrating. How do you spell relief? R-A-I-N.

It will be interesting to see what the U. S. Drought Monitor numbers show when they update this week and next. They may not be as quick as I am to declare the drought is over. : )

I hope it truly is over, and I think it is. I'm ready to get back to normal gardening and normal life.

Fire Danger, by the way is "moderate" for today, and we haven't had fire danger that low more than a handful of times in the last 8 months. That, too, is a relief. Even though "high" fire danger may return later in the week, high is not too bad when it has been "very high" to "extreme" for most of the last few months.

I hope all the rest of you who have been in drought along with us, or even just "abnormally dry" are seeing relief too.

Dawn

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting