SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dulahey

Squash Disease?

dulahey
10 years ago

3 or 4 days ago, I went out for my daily garden inspection/watering, and the picture below is what I saw. The straightneck yellow squash plant's leaves on the right were all dried up. The squash on the left is a crooked neck yellow squash.

I thought it was a complete goner, but over the next couple of days, the top of the plant stayed green and healthy and even continued to have new growth, including new fruiting.

However, I went out this morning, and saw that the fruit is rotting now. You might be able to see this in the 2nd picture in the next post.

But even worse, is that I'm noticing the very lower leaves of the other squash plant are starting to brown and dry up. You can't see that in the picture very well, I should have taken the shot from the other side where it's more noticeable.

I haven't seen a tremendous amount of bugs. A couple small green bugs (aphids?), spiders, and a handfull of squash bugs. I've been trying to take care of the squash bugs as I see them to prevent an infestation. I have removed a fair amount of eggs from underneath the squash leaves. But no crazy outbreak yet.

So any ideas what happened to the straight neck plant on the right? And should I take any other precautions for the other plant for the same issue or for squash bugs?

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention, a couple of days ago I cut the dead leaves off the right plant. Was this a bad thing to do? My thinking was that the leaves were dead and the plant shouldn't be wasting water/energy on the stems.

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by Dulahey on Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 9:48

Comments (10)