SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julianna_il

Robins and birdscare flash tape?

julianna_il
17 years ago

Hope I'm posting in the right forum. I normally don't consider birds as pests, but I do have a problem with robins.

This will be my third year having to deal with them. First year, I didn't know and a robin/some robins (not sure, they're solitary) sheared most of my seedlings off at the ground level and I had to replant the whole garden.

I then made criss cross strings of foil squares throughout the garden and had no more bird problems, but I don't know if it was because the robins were done for the spring, or because the foil really worked.

Last year, I used bird netting (vinyl) thinking it would be easier than the foil strings. NOT. It was a nightmare and I continually got tangled up in it. The foil was easier to deal with.

But since I don't really know if the foil worked or the robins were just done when I replanted, I'm asking for advice. It made no sense to me that robins would shear my plants off because they eat worms and such, but a nursery man told me they do it to gather stuff for their nests. Many of the plants they didn't even like, just sheared them and left the parts where they killed them.

So...I'm thinking of trying the birdscare tape (link below) just because it sounds easier than foil and perhaps might work a little better.

Does anyone here have any experience with robins like I've had and what has worked for you? Has anyone used the birdscare tape and/or foil on strings?

I've read Robins are especially difficult to scare off, but if I can avoid it, I'd rather not mess with that netting.

Thanks!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdscare tape

Comments (4)