SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theseventhlegend

Question(s) about transplanting a Majesty Palm

theseventhlegend
17 years ago

I have a Majesty Palm about 7ft (tallest branch) I just transplanted, and have a few questions for those whom have experience with this palm... Prior to transplant, the Majesty was receiving almost a full day of sun with minimal shade. It was not watered regularly BUT it was in a location where the soil seemed rich. When I dug the Majesty up, I was surprised the roots weren't more plentiful. And the roots did in fact seem a bit dry. Also the leaf tips were starting to get brown, especially the top fronds. (not enough water?)

The Majesty was moved to a location where it will receive almost a full day sun but broken up with a good mixture of shade throughout the day. It will also receive 3-5 days a week regular irrigation. I dug a large hole and filled the center with a mixture of dirt and a grainy peat moss type substance so water will drain and/or hold near the roots. Around the center I filled the hole with more dirt and some peat moss so the roots can take hold of the dirt. I also dug a trench around the planted palm to cup the water and hold it near the roots, but the base of the palm doesn't sit in draining or standing water. Also plan to mulch around the palm.

1. Will the Majesty of this size experience some transplant shock with the above changes?

2. Should the Majesty Palm thrive in it's new location?

3. How long before I should notice if the palm is happy in it's new location (new growth, less browning tips, or whatever)?

4. Does my peat moss drainage idea sound like it will work?

I'm trying to give the palm a more "river bank" feel and hoping to succeed in replicating this. I want to give it the best chance for survival and don't want to loose such a gorgeous palm. Thank you.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES