SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hfk123

Seeking Suggestions for New House Landscaping

HFK123
18 years ago

Hi,

I have a new house on 1.3 acres that, I believe, has a lot of natural potential. This is my first house, and landscaping will be a big job: I thought I'd start here and get some basic suggestions from the group. For the moment, I'm only concerned about the front of the house, and I've included links to numerous pictures. As can be seen from some of the photos, I've already started one project: I've planted monkey grass on the north side of the driveway: the south side of the driveway is next. Some random notes:

1. The house is on a cul-de-sac, and the lot has a wedge shape to it, narrowing significantly as it approaches the street. You can see the property stakes in "House From Street: East" and "House From Street: West"

2. I had the rock hauled in: I'm thinking of burying it a bit to give it a more integrated feel. I'm not particularly interested in planting around it, though: I think that would detract from the rock.

3. I don't want anything excessively formal: I intend on leaving the back portion of the lot essentially wild, as a green-belt separating my house from the neighbors. I won't be using any sort of pre-formed pavers, planter borders, etc: I'd like to keep it more natural.

4. One of the things I'd like to do is plant a couple of Live-Oaks in front of the house, towards the street if possible. Not sure where to put them yet. I know that they'll need plenty of room (long after all of us are dead and gone maybe, but they'll get there eventually) but I want to avoid blocking the street's view of the house

5. I'm not sure what to do with the trees: those nearest the driveway (within 3 or 4 feet) will likely be included in the monkey grass driveway edging eventually. As for the others, I've considered several things, chief among them low-lying stacked-stone planters. I've looked for images but can't find any that precisely match my idea. I'll try to find some pictures and post later...

6. I've included pictures of my two brick/stone planters. I've had these professionally landscaped, but haven't done much with them beyond that, besides installing a small fountain and some Purple FOuntain Grass to help it blend in. I've also planted some begonias in one of the planters, to liven it up a bit.

{{gwi:1115018}}

{{gwi:1115020}}

{{gwi:1115022}}

{{gwi:1115024}}

{{gwi:1115026}}

{{gwi:1115027}}

{{gwi:1115028}}

{{gwi:1115029}}

{{gwi:1059003}}

{{gwi:1059004}}

{{gwi:1059005}}

{{gwi:1115030}}