SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gazzerk_gw

Palm survival in DFW area

Gazzerk
13 years ago

In Dallas the temperatures in February dipped to an all time low. Believe we got down to 8F with wind chills around -10F and almost a week in the low 20's, then off and on again we climb out of freezing temps for almost 2 weeks with ice and snow. It seems as though my three large hardy palms did not make it. The southern facing windmill palm with 7' tall trunk, 10' from house, spear bud was hanging over and was easily pulled out even though it wasn't wet. The tree is flowering but some flowers are coming out are browning (not like in previous seasons), the frond closest to the terminal bud is still attached. leaning over but yellow near stem and the third one is normal, full and stiff. The rest of tree is green but stems seem to be getting lower, not as compact.

One on north side 10" dia. trunked windmill similar to one in front in size, very protected near fence and brick wall looks healthy-looking even though the terminal spear is lying over and the closest frond to the spear is also, cannot pull them out. I am guessing they are on the decline but will remain green for a while. Mediterranean completely yellow/brown with all terminal buds easily pulled out except for several suckers near ground. Most stems already look black. Dug down around base and roots look healthy.

I am an avid palm grower and have a lot of experience growing but never had anything like this happen before. Before I make the painful and arduous task of removing these large palms can anyone give me any advice? Should I wait or are these goners? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)