SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palmgirl_gw

Bismarck Palm-- In Pot; need to put in ground! HELP!

17 years ago

I just got a very nice large (about 12 feet diameter; same height) Bismarckia nobilis (Silver Beauty) palm. It's been grown in a pot. It was growing so large that it was bursting out of the pot. So we had to dig some of the surface roots out of the ground where it was sitting for a long time. Then we moved it to my house on a truck.

It is now sitting in my yard, in the shade, waiting for me to dig a hole and put it in the ground, in its permanent home.

My question is this: I've read that bismarck palms are sensitive to transplant, and that root pruning is a good idea. Would root pruning also be recommended when transplanting a bismarck palm from a pot to the ground? Most sources seem to be referencing transplanting bismarcks from field grown to ground, in which case root pruning is recommended. But I'm not sure if root pruning is also recommended when the bismarck palm has lived its entire life in a pot. HELP! I really love this palm and don't want to kill it.

Also... since the palm may need to remain in its current pot for a couple more weeks, how often should I water it?

And should I prune the lower, dying branches off the palm now, or wait until after it's been transplanted to its new home?

Sorry for all the questions! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (5)