SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Another snake story

mulberryknob
11 years ago

A week ago Sunday night I got a phone call from my SIL at 11 PM. I knew when I saw his number that something had happened to daughter. At 9:40 that evening she had called him at work saying the dogs were going crazy in the yard and which gun should she take out with her? The 9mil? No he said, take the 22 rifle. At 9:50 she called him back on her cell saying "Get me help. I just shot myself in the foot trying to kill a rattlesnake."

They have a lovely Siberian Husky that hates snakes and he was trying to get to it. The more the dog lunged at it and barked, the more the snake rattled. Daughter got off two shots, hitting the snake with one at least because it started writhing. She took one step forward to get a better look, stepped into a hole and squeezed the trigger as she fell. The bullet broke one bone and shattered another--the pinky toe and next one and went out the bottom of her foot. Off her foot for at least 6 weeks.

Moral of the story. Call a neighbor or wait for husband who gets home at 10:20 on Sunday night.

It could have been worse. She could have fallen on the snake. Luckily wasn't close enough.

They never did find the snake. Hope it crawled off and died. A neighbor a couple miles from them killed 6 rattlesnakes in a week earlier this year.

Comments (12)