SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seraphima_gw

A Small Project

seraphima
21 years ago

Currant Events

I have been contemplating a small-scale project to increase the sustainable agriculture base here in Kodiak. I donÂt think I can by myself really do a whole lot except plant seeds, both in people and in the physical ground. It seems like a good idea to sow ideas and plants around that can be growing while my garden does. It is good to have actual goals so that one can determine the amount of plant material to be propagated or scrounged.

For this year, I think the following edible plantings are possible:

1. The Âberry packet: Black currants, raspberry, alpine strawberries, and rhubarb

2. The Âherb packet: Chives, mint, thyme, sage, and comfrey

3. In fall, I will have enough garlic propagated for a number of families.

In research stage are growing potatoes in black halibut tubs, and growing Jerusalem artichokes.

Lastly are edible flowers, which might include rosa rugosas and sneet.

In terms of local guerilla gardening, I have identified three target groups, with a possible fourth in the future. When I speak of guerilla gardening, I am trying to spread both edible plants and to plant new gardeners, so to speak. Thus, the highest priority projects are for people and plants, and secondarily for just plants, such as in nearby empty lots, etc.

A friend pointed out that most people feel that they can never learn to garden; thus they turn to prepackaged plants and planting strips bought at a big store. C

Here is the project: ÂCurrant eventsÂ

1. Go to each neighbor within a block of our house and offer to plant a free currant bush or two. Talk with them. If they like, plant more plants from the two packets. (perhaps 7 residences.)

2. Go to friends homes and do the same. This would scatter these plants and knowledge around the town. (perhaps 8 families)

3. Take some plants from target plant groups to the Garden Club plant sale where gardeners I donÂt know will buy and plant them.

4. Propagate more so that eventually they can be sold to local nurseries as stock, to be bought by others to plant. (Or sold by me.)

5. In addition, plant plants around my neighborhood to increase the number and density of edible species for my foraging purposes, and othersÂ.

We would propagate most of the plants we give to others, and also look for people who have extras of target plants in their garden. (extra rhubarb, for example.)

We would involve interested kids to help us do this. One young lady has already helped me with one project. We would take the materials, including tools, plants, manure, and kelp mulch to each place, involving interested people as much as they want to be.

Criteria for selected plants is that they be hardy, perennial, edible, easy to grow, and relatively uninteresting to slugs. A certain degree of invasiveness is preferred for vigor and holding their own against weeds; but not so that they become pests.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting