SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

Can I mix stain and paint for outdoor small project?

WendyB 5A/MA
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am making an a-frame to protect a special shrub outdoors this winter. The wood is cedar. I want it to be green-ish to blend in a little bit better with the shrub bed.

It only needs a pint of paint. The only kind of outdoor paint I have seen come that small is those rustoleoum small cans. I think they usually say "enamel". But I think that's too much paint. I don't want to deal with peeling and wear and tear over time. I was hoping to do a very semi-transparent stain effect that will last much much longer. But I don't want to buy a gallon of exterior tinted stain.

If I get one of those little cans in green, I was hoping I could thin it out a bit with water and add a little stain. I have leftover standard MinWax stain kicking around.

WIll this work or am I going to end up with a big mess?

Keeping in mind, it's only a temporary a-frame, not a major project. But this is a well-manicured condo complex, so I want it to look halfway decent so no one complains.

Update: Just remembered I have official BM paint extender on hand. So I don't need to use water to thin it.

Comments (5)