SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Tomato Varieties Report

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
18 years ago

For those of you who are interested in trying new tomato varieties, I thought I'd report on how some of this year's varieties are doing. This one is long, so if you aren't interested in the performance of different tomato varieties, you might wish to skip it.

I'll have to report later in the season on which ones were tastiest (and, of course, taste can be variable and quite subjective) but here is a report on what was planted, survived, thrived, etc.

Some plants are larger than others. I planted mine over a staggered time frame from mid-March to mid-May. If a plant went in late and I think the lateness is the reason why it is small, or not producing yet, I'll say it went in late, so you won't think that variety might be a dud. And, in our climate, early blight is almost inevitable. Usually it shows up at about the time fruit begin to ripen.

GREEN-FRUITED VARIETIES:

Green Grape--plants 3' tall but very wide/spreading. Slow grower & just now flowering.

Green Zebra--plants range from 4' to 6' tall. Perfect appearance. Thick, lush foliage. Disease and pest-free. Flowers and green fruit. No ripe ones yet, but getting close.

Lime Green Salad--plants 3' tall, a little Early Blight after last week's rains. Some fruit almost ripe. Loads of flowers and fruit.

BLACK-FRUITED VARIETIES: (actually maroon to mahoghany to deep green, sometimes all these colors on one fruit)

Black From Tula--Only about 3' tall, but produced ripe fruit before the end of May. Lots of fruit and flowers. Yummy. Very mild early blight.

Black Krim--Very vigorous grower. Already about 5' tall and 4' wide so you can't even see the tomato cage anymore.

Lots of flowers and fruit. First one on these plants ripened this week. Very mild early blight.

Black Prince--Planted late, but still 4' tall already and with very lush, thick, healthy disease-free foliage. Lots of green fruit but no ripe ones yet.

Black Sea Man--About 4' tall. One plant has severe foliage disease I haven't diagnosed yet. Might be southern wilt. Others have only the tiniest amount of early blight. Lots of flowers and fruit. Some ripe by late May.

Paul Robeson--Got off to a slow start as massive poppies from the adjoining border came through the fence and tried to bury them. Now catching up growth-wise since poppies were removed. Just beginning to flower. No fruit yet. No diseases.

Southern Night--Small, and a slow grower. About 3' tall. Foliage is sort of thin and wispy. A little early blight. Large fruit almost ripe.

Black Cherry-Early producer but a slow-grower. Had ripe fruit in very early June. No diseases.

Cherokee Chocolate--started late. Got seed in a mid-April seed trade. Small but healthy. Will report more later.

YELLOW OR GOLD-FRUITED VARIETIES:

Dr. Wyche's Yellow--About 5' tall with lush, healthy foliage. Very mild early blight. Flowers just appeared this week. A few very tiny fruit.

Jubilee--Only about 3' tall and not growing as vigorously as it did in previous years here. Some full-sized fruit. Moderate early blight.

Yellow Pear--Oops. This one is not well, and it better straighten up because it is my DH's boss's favorite tomato.

Only 2' to 3' tall and has been in ground forever. Some fruit, some flowers, but hit incredibly hard by Early Blight after it rained last week. These plants may not surivive the early blight.

Super Snow White--More white then yellow when ripe, I guess. These are huge monster plants, about 7'tall and several feet wide. Covered in fruit and flowers. Lush, thick, perfect foliage. No ripe fruit yet. No diseases or pests.

Sun Gold--Vigorous plants over 5' tall. No diseases. Lots of fruit and flowers. Ripe fruit since mid-May.

Delicious (reddish-orange)--5' tall, very sprawling. Mild early blight. Just beginning to flower and set fruit.

Nebraska Wedding--Got off to a slow start, maybe due to the drought. Growing well now. About 4' tall. Lots of fruit and flowers. About to have a few ripe ones.

Sun Sugar FT--supposed to be an improved version of Sun Gold. About 5' tall. Covered in flowers and fruit in long trusses. Ripe ones early in June.

PINK/PURPLE-FRUITED VARIETIES:

Arkansas Traveler--About 4' tall. Thick, healthy foliage. Flowers and fruit but none ripe yet. No disease problems.

Brandywine and Brandywine OTV--Planted very early in pots outside. Very tall, about 6' and still growing. Severe early blight on 1 of 4 plants, mild early blight on other 3. Huge, tasty fruit. First ripe one this week. By the way, Brandywine OTV does not produce any better for me than Brandywine nor does it seem more disease-resistant.

Mexico--about 3' to 4' tall. Average foliage. No disease problems. Went into ground a little late. Flowers but no fruit yet.

Porter Improved--About 4' tall and really healthy. Loads of fruit but none ripe yet. Very small amount of early blight.

Porter--About 4' tall and moderately healthy. Loads of fruit, but none ripe yet. Moderate amount of early blight.

German Queen--Potato-leaved. Short so far (3'6") but very thick, lush, healthy foliage. No pest or disease problems. Small fruit and flowers.

Oxacan Pink--About 4'6" tall. Very thick, lush, foliage. No diseases. Some fruit which is about 30% of expected mature size.

Old German--Not sure if this one's fruit is pink or red. A late impulse purchase at HD, so planted later than others. Is about 3' tall and about as wide. No fruit or flowers yet. Disease free.

RED-FRUITED VARIETIES:

Beefmaster--Huge plants, at least 7' tall and 3' wide. Huge fruit and lots of it. Absolutely no diseases. No ripe fruit yet, but soon.

Better Boy--Produced the first ripe tomato in my garden for the 2nd or 3rd year in a row, beating Early Girl again. Large healthy plants covered in fruit and flowers.

Bush Big Boy--This 'bush' version is 4' tall but much more manageable than the 8' to 10' height of the regular Big Boy. Healthy, lush, no foliage diseases. Covered in large fruit that is just beginning to get ripe.

Celebrity--5' tall, lots of fruit, first ripe one tomorrow or next day. Moderate early blight on one plant. Tons of fruit.

Bush Celebrity--2'6" tall, covered in fruit, no disease problems. First fruit ripe within a week.

Ceylon--Short, 3' to 4' tall. Flowers and small green fruit. Unique fruit appearance. No diseases.

Rosalita--About 4'6" tall. Wispier foliage than most. Many green fruit. A few ripe ones by early June. No diseases.

Sugary Hybrid--2005 All-American Selection. About 4'6" tall and covered in fruit and flowers. A few ripe ones already. No diseases.

Super Boy--Very fast growing. Huge, vigorous plants about 6' tall and 2' to 3' wide. Loaded in clusters of fruit. Huge amounts of fruit. Had a lot of leaf curl early on. No

disease problems.

Super Sioux--A very healthy 4'6" tall with lush foliage. Lots of fruit but none ripe yet. Mild early blight.

Sweet Chelsea--About 5'6" tall. Vigorous grower. Loaded with clusters of fruit. Girst ones ripe in late May. No disease problems.

Sweet Million--7' tall and 3' wide and still growing with great vigor. Covered in green fruit and foliage. No ripe ones yet. No diseases.

Tomande--Seemed slow to take off but growing like gangbusters now. Covered in clusters of large fruit, with about 3 to 7 fuit per cluster. None ripe yet. Very small amount of early blight.

Ugly--Short plant. Only about 3' tall but loads of green fruit. Mild early blight.

Supersweet 100--Not growing quickly this year. About 3' to 4' tall. Loads of fruit, though, with some ripe as early as mid-May. A little early blight.

Bush Early Girl--Only about 2'6" tall but heavily covered in fruit. First ripe ones in late May. Disease free.

Sweetie Red Cherry--About 6' tall and loads of fruit. Ripe ones by end of May. No diseases.

Mortgage Lifter--Has grown pretty slowly. Plants now between 3' and 4'6" tall. Some small fruit. Some early blight. A few flowers. A light bearer.

Mortgage Lifter VFN--Only about 3' tall but very lush and wide. Tiny amount of early blight. Loads of fruit. No ripe yet.

Riesentraube--Very quick to get tall. Almost 6' tall and covered in huge clusters of fruit and flowers. Bloomed and set fruit early while plant was still small. No diseases.

Sioux--Gigantic monster of a plant. About 5' tall and 4' wide. Completely taking over its corner of that bed. Lots of fruit but none ripe yet. No disease problems.

Zapotec Pleated--Another huge plant, about 5'6" tall and very wide and spreading. Lots of flowers in clusters of 5 to 8 but no fruit yet. Moderate early blight.

Marglobe--About 3' tall and just beginning to flower. No disease problems.

TOMATOES PLANTED "LATE": The following plants went into the ground later than most of the others, so seem "behind" but are really doing quite well considering when they were planted and how little rain we've had.

Galina's Yellow--About 2' tall. Healthy foliage. No fruit yet. No diseases.

Kellogg's Breakfast--Late start in ground but catching up fast. Flowers and tiny fruit. No disease problems.

Boxcar Willie--Planted late but flowered and made fruit quickly. Healthy with only the tiniest bit of early blight.

Aunt Ginny's Purple--Planted late but catching up quickly. Healthy and no diseases, but no flowers or fruit yet.

Mule Team--Late start but is a fast grower. About 3'6" tall and has small fruit already. Mild early blight.

These plants have lost their tags due to the wind, dogs or cats. Or, the plant tags may be buried under the mulch. I can probably figure out which plants are which once the fruit ripens. Most of these are gigantic monster plants that are quite healthy, have flowers or fruit, and no diseases yet.

Aunt Ruby's German Green

Azoychka

Ildi

Russian Persimmon

These plants were started with seeds received in a late seed trade and are still pretty small. I'll report on how they grow later:

Earl's Faux

Cherokee Chocolate

Cherokee Purple

Mariana's Peace

If you grow tomatoes and want to let us know how your different varieties are performing, please feel free to do so. I always "get ideas" about new tomatoes to try here in our climate by hearing about what grows well and produces fruit well for other gardeners.

Happy Tomato Growing & Harvesting & Eating!

Dawn

Comments (31)