SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alamo5000

Progress Report and Questions on varieties

alamo5000
15 years ago

I am growing 7 different varieties of tomatoes.

1. Azoychka

2. Giant Beligium

3. Brandywine Suddith Strain

4. Dr. Carolyn

5. Sugar Snacks

6. Virginia Sweets

7. Sweet Gold

I started all of them in pete pellets in a jiffy greenhouse.

I could tell from the get go that not all tomatoes are created equally. Some varieties sprouted within days and are very prolific. Others were much slower to germinate and are growing much slower although they are treated the exact same.

Recently I potted them into cups.

Azoychyka is by far the fastest grower and are doing great. Germination was high too.

A close second will be Sugar Snacks.

Brandywine and Giant Belgium will be the next on the list as being 'good growers' and not too far behind the first two.

Sweet Gold is not too bad either.

Lastly my Dr Carolyn's and Virginia Sweets are by far the most persnickety of all of them.

The germination rate of the Virginia Sweets was really low and they grow slowly too.... Dr. Carolyn's were a bit better. The thing is, these are two varieties that I really want to try and eat :o)

I have a few plants that I think will survive to the garden, but you never know. (By the way I have gotten the labels mixed up on the plants so these two are grouped together. I don't know which are Virginia Sweet and which are Dr. Carolyn)

Does anyone have any ideas of how to care for this type of situation where one variety is bursting at the seams but the other is poking along and has a high mortality rate?

Like I said, all have gotten the exact same treatment and were even in the same little greenhouse...

Should I just be patient for the slow growers? or is there something different I should be doing to care for those that are lagging the rest?

Is that normal though to have the different varieties grow at such a different rate?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor