SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Heirloom vs Hybrid

tracydr
12 years ago

Is it really true that hybrids are more productive than heirlooms or is this only true if you need V,F or T resistance? The reason I ask is that I'm seeing amazing production from some of my plants, especially Marglobe. And, for large beefsteaks, Cherokee Purple and Aussie have really put out. Purple Russian I think got some weed spray, maybe from my neighbor, since it's in my front yard and he has a perfect yard, but despite looking like it's on death's door, must have given us 40-50 fruit. My only complaint with PR is it cracks a lot, but that could just be my climate.

My paste tomatoes (Amish paste and Speckle Roman) are loaded.

I simply can't believe that hybrids would be that much more productive.

As far as hardiness- I was horrible to my seedlings, most of these have been literally at death's door because of my neglect at least once while they were waiting to be planted. I had left them near the garden in brutal heat, yeah, our Feb-March had very hot and freezes, and they wilted down to where they were laying down on their sides.

Anyway, just wondering what y'all have experienced, since I've actually never planted those "normal" tomatoes.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County