SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie_9b

Robellini / pygmy date palm

katie_9b
13 years ago

Hello, I'm hoping someone from this forum will be able to give me advice and guidance concerning the robellini, pygmy date palm. When we bought our home the palms where already here, (8 in total) All of them looked to be in pretty rough shape (the house was a forclosure and everything had sat unattended for a year!) So i first trimmed all the dead fronds off, and then trimmed where fronds had been previously removed but there was still 2-3 inches of the frond left on with the spines? At this point they looked pretty good and i wasn't worried. Then the winter before last we had a couple hard freezes, the 6 in the back yard looked dreadfull, i looked online for info... left all the fronds alone till they where completely dead before trimming and most bounced back. Sadly some legs never grew new fronds, the center had gone mushy and i was able to pull it out. Most of the stuff i read said that if that happened the "leg" was dead, but i left them alone just incase they might have grown back,lol. Well last winter came and went, more hard freezes, and even though i covered them in blankets the palms looked worse than the winter before :( and i believe i've lost a few more legs! SO at this point i'm Positive i have some dead legs, I've heard that i can just cut them off.... but HOW am i supposed to do that? Use a hack saw and cut it at ground level? Do i need to treat the stump with anything afterwards? Also if someone could explain how to properly care for the trunks/legs? I've heard i'm supposed to clean them, but i have no idea what that means or how to go about it?!

Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Katie

Comments (3)