SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_h_gw

OT: I went to Westville over the weekend...

Lisa_H OK
15 years ago

Anyone know where that is? :) It's a little itty bitty town on the eastern border of the state, just south of Stilwell.

My mom is from around there. She grew up outside the town, but by the time I came along my grandparents had moved into town so they could have plumbing and electricity. I only remember them living in town, but my sis remembers going out to the farm and drinking from the well.

My grandmother died first and then my grandfather came to live with us. When I was in college he passed and we buried him back in Westville.

My mom always made sure their graves had flowers on them. She would get family friends to take care of it since we lived several states away.

Fast forward many years and I'm living in Oklahoma and mom has passed on. I realized Dad was no longer putting flowers on the graves and I felt compelled to go back sure the graves were okay. I'm not sure why, I'm not really a grave visiting kind of girl. I don't even visit my mom's.

I couldn't remember which graveyard they were buried in. I was a little bitty thing the last time we were there.

Dad gave me directions. I didn't write them down very obsessively, so I just had a general direction :) What I remembered him saying was that they were buried at the white Baptist church where the Trail of Tears ended. Really? How did I miss that piece of history?

We found that cemetary (before we even found Westville!):

We walked the cemetary looking for their graves. Couldn't find them. Dad was unavailable by cell phone. Whew! It was hot out there! We finally gave up and decided to find the town. Dad had said we had to turn by the funeral home to find the cemetary.

We finally found the town, after going the wrong way of course :) It didn't look at all familiar. I really expected to remember a lot of it. I remember walking to the grocery store to buy candy cigarettes. I remember the neighborhood kids fishing for crawdads in the ditch in front of the house. I remember the trailer across the street. It's amazing what I didn't remember!

Dad finally called just as we were cruising back and forth in front of the Hart Funeral Home wondering where the heck we needed to go from there. Dad could tell us turn by turn. It was amazing!

It turns out....We passed the sign for this cemetery on the HIGHWAY! In fact, that was the reason I realized we had missed the town. There were no road signs!

Dad's play by play directions got us there:

It took us a lot of walking, but we did finally find the graves. They were fine! This is one of those modern cemeteries that obviously don't allow planting on the graves. I'm a little disappointed. I had kinda thought about planting peonies or daylilies on the graves. (see, this is garden related!)

We left after that and went to look for the house. Dad couldn't remember the address so we just had to cruise around. We did know the general area, turn at the mortuary, if you pass the nursing home you've gone too far. The house is two houses from the railroad tracks. Really?? I remembered rr tracks, I didn't remember they lived on top of them!

Oookay. Sure enough, the mortuary and the nursing home are on either side of a street. Bingo, must be the right one. The street was closed off though so we had to just go street by street. I was beginning to think we would never find it when TaDA, there is was:

The house in my memory:

And today, many, many years later:

We cruised the town a little while longer. My sister called from Michigan and she reminisced about our memories and her memories of the farm. I pulled into the school parking lot to talk

look up and Viola, there was the Dairy Bar Dad used to take us to to get ice cream! I don't remember the school at all, but I sure as heck remember ice cream!

That was it. We had a cone in remembrance of my childhood and headed home.

I'm a little sad we never spent much time looking at all the history around there. Not that I would have been interested when I was a kid! But it seems a shame we didn't when we did take family vacations and saw all sorts of battlegrounds, antebellum mansions and log cabins :)

Lisa

....I think I need to start a blog!

Comments (11)