SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

It Isn't A Bad Potato Year

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
11 years ago

Today I've been digging potatoes from the raised bed in the Peter Rabbit Garden. While it is not the largest potato crop I've ever raised (last year's crop has that distinction), it isn't a bad potato year. It probably would fall into the category of an average potato year.

I did not necessarily have high hopes for a good potato crop. It rained nonstop in the month after I planted potatoes, and all my potatoes in the main garden rotted. They were planted in grade level rows, although at the sandier end of the garden. Apparently it wasn't sandy enough and most rotted before they emerged. The ones that emerged then rotted. I think 3 or 4 potato plants survived there in the big garden out of 60' of row. It also got too hot too early to expect a great potato crop. And yet....

It is a pretty darn good crop of potatoes after all from the raised bed in the Peter Rabbit Garden.

The Red Pontiac and Red LaSoda outperformed all the white and yellow potatoes in terms of pounds of potatoes produced per square foot.

A lot of the white and yellow potatoes did rot. Larry, do you remember when you asked about sulfur? Well, I found the rotted remains of my white and yellow seed potatoes and though the flesh had rotted away, the skin was still there, and the sulfur was still visible on the skin. So, I am not sure how much the sulfur ultimately helped.

Next year I may just plant red-skinned potatoes because they always produce the greatest yields for me anyway.

I've put all the potatoes I've dug so far into the potting shed to cure. With potatoes and onions curing in there, there's not much table space available for anything else right now, but it isn't like I'm potting up plants in June anyway.

Tonight we'll be having green beans and potatoes with dinner, and likely squash too if I make it back out to the garden to harvest the squash before the heat drives me indoor to stay. I came inside to cool off and drink something cool, and I am having a hard time making myself go back out there. It isn't the heat, really, it's the humidity, I think, today.

Dawn

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County