SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
singhin_gw

First time posting

singhin
18 years ago

Hello Passion Flower lovers,

I'm in Sunset zone 11; US around 8-hi desert of SO. Calif.

Pls forgive the length of this 1st post. Krstofer this 1st part is addressed to you unless anyone else has encountered this name. Addressing you because you mentioned it in a post earlier this year and also on your website. Passiflora Whirlygig. Did you ever positively id this one? I picked up 3 on the 1/2 dead table at Lowes, like you, couldn't find a picture. I'm thinking either Incarnata or Incense? Growing and blooming well now.

Ok-here it goes. I currently have 21 passion flowers. Using their common names. I know for sure that I have (3) Blue Crowns, 1 Lady Margaret, 1 Belotii, 1 Allspice, 1 Victoria. The rest are names on the nursery tags (you all know how that one goes). 3 Whirlygig, 1 Frederick, 1 Nancy Garrison, 1 Coral Glow, 1 Constance Elliot (i think), 2 Vitifolia, 1 Giant Granadilla, 1 Ruby Glow, 1 Scarlet Flame, 1 Lavendar Lady/Amethyst (3 lobed leaves-still rare Myles?), last one was a no name. Leaves are maybe 1-1-1/2" wide 5 lobed, came w/3 fruit and a caterpillar, is getting ready to bloom, so I'll know what the flower looks like then.

Current bloomers are blue crown, scarlet flame, and lady margaret.

Question - I have noticed on other posts people totally planting pot and all. Is this so they won't send up runners so easily and/or to force the roots down?.

I have a thought about mine in the winter time. If I plant pot and all what are the chances that the pot in addition to mulch will help to insulate the roots? The greenery will be lost for sure.

Also am I too late in the year to plant anyone in the ground? I have several in 5 gallon pots doing pretty well. I know it's only July almost August, so maybe 3-4 months before it gets cold.

It can get quite cold in the winter - last year 15-25 F at night for about a week, plus had a light dusting of snow late December, in any event freezing or below most of the winter. Right now in summer 100-110 F.

The one I am most concerned about would probably have to be the Giant Granadilla-that one might have to bring inside for the winter and cross my fingers. I'm also concerned about it now, everything says it likes it humid - I'm in the desert :) and its' cold hardiness may only be 50F. I probably should not have gotten it, but I couldn't resist and like to try and push the zone.

1 last thing-anyone had success using the bananas and/or peels?

I think that's it for now folks. Thanks for your patience and hopeful follow-ups.

Debbie

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County