SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raro_gw

first time posting with a landscaping design issue

raro
12 years ago

I am a first time poster to this forum. Here is some background on the issue. We are renovating our house and adding a terrace outside the south side of the house. That part of the house has our living and dining room overlooking the back yard through floor to ceiling windows and on the western edge, a screened porch. Outside the windows will be a 5 ft wide deck and then two steps leading down to the terrace. The steps span the entire width of the back of the house. Zoning restrictions dictate that we can only make an at-grade terrace and that it not be any sort of permanent structure so we chose sand rock which will compact to a surface that is quite firm. Our kids will be able to dribble a ball or ride a trike there. The terrace will have a 4" metal edging. It will be surrounded by a slope of grass for now. Eventually I want to figure out how to get an arbor over the terrace and have grapes and roses scrambling up it to make a natural shade beneath it in the summer.

The project is underway. Today they got a load of high quality topsoil and spread it around over the NC red clay. Is it okay to have the topsoil be quite deep? It seems as if they are using it as fill in addition to as topsoil.

One concern is that the slope is too steep on the western edge of the terrace between the terrace and the garage. Against the garage I have an espalier apricot on a cedar trellis. (I know it needs pruning!) Now the soil between by apricot and the terrace is 6" or so above the original grade. I was wondering if it would not be better to make some sort of raised bed wall along the southern edge of the porch. There is going to be a sand rock path exiting west on the trellis and going between the garage and the porch.

Here is my best picture of the slope off the terrace. You can see the deep black topsoil over the red clay

{{gwi:34009}}

and the view looking toward the garage

{{gwi:34010}}

And towards the south side of the house.

{{gwi:34011}}

On the rest of the areas that have gotten churned up and pulverized into dusty red clay, how deep should make the topsoil.

I am anxious to get this resolved immediately because the bobcat rental is so darn high!!

By the way, for short term I am going to sow a cover crop of buckwheat and sweet clover to lock the soil in until fall when grass can be planted.

Thanks for your help!!

Comments (9)