SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esd087

First time homebuyers...need landscaping ideas for privacy

esd087
12 years ago

First off, I'm new to these forums and I'm new to gardening/landscaping. I've been googling for ideas and keep getting sent here, and I've been very impressed with the wealth of knowledge so far.

My wife and I are under contract with our first home (upstate SC, zone 7b). It is in a subdivision where the houses have little personality when it comes to landscaping. I see that as a good thing, though because I have a blank slate and lots of room for creativity. We have a small .25 acre lot. The front yard is fine, but I'm looking for the best shrubs/trees/hedges for quick privacy in the back.

First off, the dimensions of what we're talking about:

{{gwi:10182}}From Landscaping

As you can see, we have dog pens to try and hide, and our back door looks directly at someone else's back door. Hardly ideal, but hey - it's our first house :)

Next, we have an attempted panoramic view of the backyard:

{{gwi:10183}}From Landscaping
You can't see it super well, but the property line to the right is at the top of an approximately 2 ft. hill. The neighbor has a chain link fence that borders our property.

One more view:

{{gwi:10184}}From Landscaping
You can see how the water drains when it rains. Not talking about a huge ditch/river here, but based on what I've seen in other forum posts I figured this would be helpful to include. Also, the yard faces SE, has full sun (brutal 90-100ð summers), and is mostly likely hard clay.

Most importantly, I want as much privacy as possible along the back property line so we don't have to look at the neighbors that closely...possibly a hedge all the way across with some staggered trees? I'm also looking for ideas for each side of the house - not necessarily a huge wall of trees, but something to at least break it up.

Again, I'm a newbie at landscaping so any ideas are helpful. Here's a few possibilities I found so far while researching:

- Wax leaf ligustrum

- Wax myrtle

- Nellie Stevens holly

- Tea olive tree

- Thuja Emerald Green

- Thuja Green Giant

- Leyland cypress

Comments (15)