SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

More sweet potatoes!

Macmex
9 years ago

Yesterday I planted some more sweet potatoes.
I have prepared a second, one hundred foot row for sweet potatoes.
20 - Grand Asia
5 - Red Wine Velvet
5 - Ula
5 - Cordner Red
5 - Ozark County

Ula (might be spelled Uala, as that is Hawaiian for "purple) is a Hawaiian variety, given to me by Ron Cook, a neighbor. Ron is the originator of Heavy Hitter okra. Anyway, Ula is a purple (inside and out) variety from Hawaii. It is exceedingly sensitive to cool/cold temperatures. The first time I picked up a couple of plants from Ron I went from his potting shed to the car, and drove about 3 miles to my house. It wasn't lower than 45 F outside, yet the plants wilted and died by the next day. When I finally put slips out, we had night time temps drop into the upper 30s, within two days. All my other slips were okay. But Ula died to the ground. So, the lesson I take from this is that, with Ula, one should be extra careful not to plant out until temps are quite warm. The plants, are growing like wildfire now.

Really, I think Gary (DuckCreekFarms) would agree, there is little reason to plant out sweet potatoes until temperatures are truly warm and stable. The little growth one might gain by planting early will usually be offset by setbacks brought on by cold spells. This would be true of any sweet potato.

Almost two weeks ago I received and planted 13 slips of Oklahoma Red, from Sandhill Preservation Center. They are doing fine. But it will be a bit before they start showing a lot of growth. I predict they will produce quite well.

June and even early July are still plenty early to start some sweet potatoes. I know both Sandhill Preservation Center and Duck Creek Farms generally have plenty of slips (at least some kinds) at this time of year. I can't remember whether Duck Creek Farms does specials. But I know Sandhill Preservation Center does. I've received a couple of slips of a couple of varieties, for only a "couple of dollars," in the past, by waiting until July. That's a great way to gain new varieties for grow outs in the coming year. I just grow them now and save roots for the coming spring.

Okay, I have to get going.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals