SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

OT: Non-Passiflora photos

14 years ago

I know almost all of us grow other things besides Passifloras. In many parts of the country it's also too early for most Passifloras to bloom. So I thought it would be fun if we posted pictures of some of the other things in bloom, especially those that are unusual, spectacular, or people are unlikely to have seen before.

My first is actually done blooming, but it's very cool, so I'll post it anyway--Isopogon formosus (source UC Santa Cruz Arboretum). It's a Protea family plant from Australia.

{{gwi:490537}}

The second is still going strong,although this photo is a week or two old. Echium wildpretii (seed source J.L. Hudson). I was surprised how this plant got 6 feet tall after starting relatively small. Still, they can get almost twice this tall. The photo doesn't accurately capture the colors--this is an amazing plant.

{{gwi:490544}}

The colors are a little better closeup. Each individual flower (I estimated the plant must open about 10,000) is about half an inch.

{{gwi:490545}}

Calandrina spectabilis. I had never heard of this until I saw it growing in front of Flora Grubb in San Francisco. I had to have it. Flowers open successively on each spike. This is from a couple weeks ago; a few days ago 8 flowers were open.

{{gwi:490538}}

Fuchsia boliviana Alba is not even open, but it's still cool. The peduncle (if that's the correct term here) is about 5 inches to give you and idea of the scale:

Comments (11)

Sponsored