SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheri_nwok

Tomato plants hit with plague!!! 911

sheri_nwok
12 years ago

My plants are going down fast. Since the heat has hit I'm noticing them first having severe leaf curl, loosing color really fast and then they just sort of shrink up and seem to be withering away. I've looked at a couple of the plant disease identifier sites posted here, but not really found what Im seeing here. Some will start getting yellow leaves towards the bottom but they don't really seem to start out that way. Seems like the ones it's happening too are smaller than the healthier ones. I did not get my dead plants removed at the end of the season last year and some plants were broke down and mixed in with the old hay from last year as mulch.

Earls Faux didn't really have the leaf curl and did start out more with color loss then turned into yellow leaves as it shriveled away. I haven't pulled it up yet to look at the root. Caspian pinks main stem toward the bottom had a large crack in it, not sure if that would have caused it to loose it's color and waste away. It had severe curled leaves.

I know the heat will cause the leaf curl, but I feel they were watered well enough to keep living. I'm wondering could overwatering cause them to do what I've described possibly? Most were amended lightly with hu more and given 1 cup of tomato miracle grow twice in the last month. Most of the potato leaf plant were given tomato tone and most of them are fairings better than regular leaf. My soaker hoses it seems kind of water unevenly, towards the middle to the end of the hoses seem not to put put as much water it seems like to me, but even on those, I've dug down in between and the NOT well amended soil was very damp to at least a depth of 8" or so, maybe not the 1st inch or so though. Sigh. Any thoughts?

Comments (30)