SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
animalfarms

Plagued by rats and mice

animalfarms
14 years ago

This past summer I have been over eaten (vegies) by mice and a few rats. I got NOTHING from the garden. This year I also started a compost pile in a corner of the garden. ( It's just a chicken wire fence.) Though it is just grass clippings, I thought this might be one cause to draw the pests in. But other then a place to hide, the compost shouldn't have food for them. Should I move the pile? If so, how far? What else can I do to cut their numbers down (besides mouse/rat traps), or to discourage them from sticking around? I have dogs so cats are out of the question. I also breed one of the dogs (so I have a small investment in her), I can't chance useing poison.(She is a rare mahogany red Giant Alaskan Malamute.) The dog does on occasion hunt the garden for the pests when I'm out there with her (she eats what she catches before I can get it from her so no poison), but otherwise the garden is fenced off from her. Without me out there to watch her, the dog will eat the garden (she has been caught with her hole head in a watermelon before).

So, does anyone have any ideas on non-toxic(for the dogs) ways to get rid of (or discourage) rodents in the vegies?

Thanks

animalfarms

Comments (14)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County