SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom_termine

Phoenix roebelenii 'bonsai'?

TT, zone 5b MA
15 years ago

Hi -

Before I inadvertently assassinate the lovely Pygmy Date Palm I purchased last weekend, I thought I would run this question by some experts...

As we moved towards spring, I was considering repotting this palm is a shallower and wider bonsai pot, as compared to the plastic stock pot it is now in. The new pot will likely be half as deep, and somewhat wider than the stock pot. The plant is actually a nice clump of three trunks - not sure yet if they are three separate plants, or one plant with three trunks.

So, how tolerant is P. roebelenii of drastic root pruning? I may need to remove about half of the root ball to get it to fit.

Does it respond to bonsai treatment (e.g., will the fronds reduce in size over time)? I know this is apples and oranges, but I have some Cycas Revoluta and Zamia Floridana (cyads not palms, I know...) that have responded very well to this treatment. Can I expect similar results here?

What type of soil mix would you recommend? I have a variety of elements I can use - from pretty gritty, high drainage bonsai soil mixes, to the components I use for my succulents (turface, pumice, dynarok, perlite) to some soilless ingredients like coir, to organic stuff like topsoil - at my disposal right now. Would any of this be appropriate, or do I need something else completely?

Thank you all very much in advance!

Tom

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor