SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thesnowbishop

kniphofia aka red-hot poker?

thesnowbishop
17 years ago

Any kniphofia experts out there? I love it and was looking forward to the two big blooms shooting up from my northside stand three weeks ago. To my dismay, only half the bloom came into full flower this year. The stand seems healthy enough, and I can already see propigation occurring for blooms 2-3 years down the road, but what happened this year?

Wet roots/rain, rain, rain?--it is a South African plant right? (my first guess)

Not enough sun?--I live in a little woodland cul-de-sac where I thought I found the perfect (and only) places to plant my full sun perennials. I planted two stands of kniphofia two years ago from the same nursery, and the one on the southeast side of the house had more sun, similar soil amendments and attention but failed last year. The clouds and dark skies of the last few weeks probably played a part (guess #1a).

Soil amendment/fertility?--sandstone/limestone is par for the course around my house, but I've followed the rules for kniphofia as best as I can tell. Nitrogen deficiency?

The great cold snap of '07?

Any guesses or solutions would be appreciated.

As a side note, the OKC zoo had some great kniphofia displays last year, and for me, flora seems to trump fauna more and more every year. And this coming from someone who spent 4 years in Yellowstone NP!

Side note #2: Any good advice on transplanting kniphofia? I did move a small clump last spring about a foot away from the mother plant, and it seems to be doing well. I see a few new shoots this year that look like perfect gifts; should I tempt fate? Or is it too late?

By the way, long time lurker, first time poster, all time nerdy gardener.

Comments (4)