SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

General Questions about P. membranacea

mark4321_gw
15 years ago

I just bought a 1 gallon P. membranacea from the plant shop at UC Botanical Garden, Berkeley. A friend also bought one there a couple weeks before. A third friend awaits a plant in a 4 inch pot from Grassy Knoll. The plant is fairly hard to come by and there's not a lot of info out there on this species and much of it's contradictory, so we have a few questions.

There is of course some info out there, and the two best sources I've found are Myles Irvine's site and the book "Passiflora: Passionflowers of the World", by Ulmer et al. Some of my questions are touched on there, but I'm curious about personal experiences.

http://www.passionflow.co.uk/passiflora-membranacea.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=43bVC3P8PJsC&pg=PA139&lpg=PA139&dq=passiflora+of+the+world+membranacea&source=bl&ots=WEjooVIKGz&sig=QPjRgMTijl8VvNBKUNT2J9z1eeU&hl=en&ei=gm3dSfrEDJK0NZyO_d8N&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Like many high elevation species, many of the reports seem to center around cultivation in San Francisco and very similar climates. I'm curious how much divergence from those narrow conditions is OK.

Without going into too much detail on our growth conditions, the two of us who purchased at UC Botanical garden live in areas that differ primarily from SF/Berkeley in having warmer summers (average 80/55, so a few 90s) and some light frost in the winter. How sensitive is the plant to such "extremes"?

I've read differing opinions on how much sun is appropriate. I think the consensus would seem to be as much sun as possible, but filtered sun during hot afternoons. Comments?

How big is blooming size? I've read anywhere from nothing until it's longer than 50 feet to even a few flowers in an 8 inch pot (the Ulmer and MacDougal book). I hope the latter is true!

I'm also curious about repotting. I'm concerned about my plant drying out and/or overheating in a 1 gallon pot. The plant doesn't seem to otherwise "need" repotting, but I'm considering moving him up. I'd prefer to overpot him then to come home and find him fried.

And of course how are cuttings best rooted? I've found no information about this species in particular, just a general sense that people find it difficult. Obviously the plant is somehow propagated, if nurseries and botanical gardens can sell it.

Those are just a few of my questions--no doubt I'm forgetting some. Mainly I'm concerned about how to grow the plant (if possible) if one doesn't live in SF or Berkeley. Admittedly, our climate is not terribly different from those places, and of course if people in much different climates have had success/failure than I'm certainly curious.

It's a fascinating Passiflora, not grown very much, which I find surprising. What are the reasons?

Oh, here's the plant--I assume they sell them from time to time, $18. The smaller plant from Grassy Knoll is $15 (out of stock at the moment). There's a guy who sells them occasionally on Ebay, I believe. I doubt that's a cheap way to get them.

Comments (5)

Sponsored