SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

P. mollissima (= P. tripartita v. mollissima) questions

mark4321_gw
15 years ago

Hi,

I just bought a seedling of P. tripartita v. mollissima--the "banana passionflower"--on ebay. The grower says that it is the true P. tripartita v. mollissima and not P. tarminiana. I mention this in case the two have differences in their growth habits. I believe the true P. tripartita v. mollissima is also generally believed to have superior fruit, although I've never tasted either.

I haven't gotten the seedling yet, but I'm trying to plan out how to grow it. Unfortunately the space that I have for it is far from big--I've always seen these vines covering large areas, swallowing trees, etc. The basics of what I have is a 14 ft section of a 6 ft. wooden fence. I can actually expand a little bit beyond this, so that a more generous estimate is 20 ft. by 6 ft. But no more.

Is this a large enough area to get flowers and fruit? We should be in an appropriate climate--near San Francisco--a little warmer and drier in the summer: average 80/55 (plus the grower says that this particular variety tolerates a few degrees more heat than most P. mollissimas). What and when are appropriate ways to prune the vine? I've read that the vines of Tacsonias like P. t. mollissima need to be a few meters/yards long to bloom. Do I have enough space to get a long enough vine? Should I plant the vine at the end of my space to get a long vine (6 + 14 feet) or in the middle (6 + 7 feet)? Is it important to get a few extra feet and a longer vine?

Any insight or experiences with this species wouldbe appreciated.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!